Splunk Search

How to apply a custom TIME_FORMAT specific to source with a wildcard in Props.conf?

masonmorales
Influencer

I am trying to apply a custom TIME_FORMAT to a wildcarded source in props.conf, but Splunk doesn't seem to be applying it (i.e. Splunk still shows the wrong _time in my search against this source).

What am I doing something wrong?

Example source:
albatross-b827e88ab79c.vsat.20150209.speedtest.csv
My entry in props.conf:

[source::*speedtest.csv]
   TIME_FORMAT = %Y%m%d%H%M
   TIME_PREFIX = ^

Sample event:
201502062345,albatross-b827ebe142fe.vsat,12.23,Mb,3.30,Mb

0 Karma
1 Solution

lmyrefelt
Builder

I would add a MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 20 ... (it has been helpfull to me in the past) just to make sure SPlunk does not reads to long into the file, since it is in the beginning.

I can also recommend the "Data preview" function that exists in SPlunk now ... it will display / help you with this sorts of problems.

View solution in original post

the_wolverine
Champion

I believe that there is a bug with using a wildcard with a source in props.conf -- the wildcard pattern only works in some scenarios. We have seen issues with * specifically.

Support acknowledges but has not fixed. Documentation should be updated to reflect not to use asterisk as a wildcard, use ... instead.

0 Karma

lmyrefelt
Builder

I would add a MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 20 ... (it has been helpfull to me in the past) just to make sure SPlunk does not reads to long into the file, since it is in the beginning.

I can also recommend the "Data preview" function that exists in SPlunk now ... it will display / help you with this sorts of problems.

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Since your timestamps are the beginning of each event, you don't need TIME_PREFIX.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

masonmorales
Influencer

Right, it still wouldn't recognize it without TIME_PREFIX though. I am starting to think you can't apply TIME_FORMAT to a source because I couldn't find an example in the props.conf.spec.

I worked around the issue by re-indexing the data under a new sourcetype I created with the time_format settings.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...