Splunk Search

How to Join entries for a summary index

wayn23
Explorer

I have two indexes that I want to create a summary from every hour.

Index1
request_type, request_guid, request_timestamp, meta_field1, meta_field2, ...

Index1 contains log entries from each processing steps in each service request. Each service request is assigned a unique request_guid and all ~10 logs for the processing of a request have that id. The time the request was made is stored in request_timestamp and also remains the same through all logs for a request..

index2
request_guid, meta_fieldA, meta_fieldB, ...

index2 contains more data for the logs, but is in a separate index so that it can be secured differently from index1. The request_guid is the same value as in index1

I want to summarize by collecting stats for each request type by hour.

The approach I have taken is to select all the logs from Index1 where the request_timestamp is in the hour. I cannot use the log time directly as a request logs might span into the next hour ( as in started at 9:59:59 and ended at 10:00:01)

index=index1 earliest=0 
       | addinfo | eval timemillis=strftime(strptime(request_timestamp,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N%z"),"%s") 
       | where timemillis>=info_min_time AND timemillis<info_max_time

This gives me a list of all the logs from index1 that I want to summarize. I then join the logs from index2

| join  usetime=false type=left overwrite=false request_guid  max=0
  [search index=index2]

I then create a summary with the following

| sort _time desc
| transaction request_guid  maxspan=10m mvlist=true
| stats 
    count as requests_in_period
    by request_type

What results is elevated counts per period. They all are multiples of 2, which tells me that a cross product seems to be happening. I think the problem is in the join command. There are multiple entries selected from index1 that have duplicate values for request_guid that I think are over selecting from index2, yet I want all the matching entries from index2 with the request_guid.

When I view the events right after the join, all the logs are from index1 and none are from index2

Background
I started with a subselect of the request_guids that should be summarized, but a subselect is limited to 10500 entries, which will not be enough for an hours of transactions logs.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this. This would run every 30 minutes, at x:15 and x:45. We're summing at the 15m level, and doing so for two periods, -45m to -30m and -30m to -15m past.

earliest=-45m@m  latest=@m index=index1 OR index=index2 

| rename COMMENT as "get rid of all unneeded fields"
| fields index request_guid request_timestamp, request_type

| rename COMMENT as "calculate desired timestamp from the index1 record, roll it and the request type from the index2 record onto the index1 records for each guid"
| eval mytime=strptime(request_timestamp,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N%z")
| eventstats min(mytime) as mytime min(request_type) as mytype by request_guid 

| rename COMMENT as "get rid of unneeded index2 records, and records that are too old or too young to have settled"
| addinfo
| where (mytime>=info_min_time) AND (mytime<info_max_time-900) AND (index="index1") 

| rename COMMENT as "chunk up the records into 15 minute chunks, stats together all records for each guid, then find out how many unique guids there were in each period."
| eval _time=900*floor(mytime/900) 
| stats  min(mytype) as request_type by _time request_guid
| stats dc(request_guid) as requests_in_period by _time request_type
0 Karma

wayn23
Explorer

Thanks for the response. You inspired me to look into using stats more instead of a join and that proved very effective and fast.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...