Splunk Search

How to Extract substring from Splunk String using regex

user9025
Path Finder

I ave a field "hostname" in splunk logs which is available in my event as "host = server.region.ab1dc2.mydomain.com".

I can refer to host with same name "host" in splunk query. I want to extract the substring with 4 digits after two dots ,for the above example , it will be "ab1d". How my splunk query should look like for this extraction?

Basically I have been given a string, and want to skip two dots and then take the four characters after that.

Labels (3)
0 Karma

user9025
Path Finder

My existing query looks like follow and it works fine:

index=Myindex  sourcetype=app-sourcename "text to search" |  eval hostname= substr(host, len(host)-17) | stats count by host

Getting last 17 characters from string host.

Now i want to do operation on host before it goes to stats ,which is to extract 4 chars from hostname after skipping 2 dots, can u tell how can I modify existing query to do that?I searched sot string manipulation functions, but it does not seem to work here

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @user9025,

please try this:

| rex field=hostname "^\w+\.\w+\.(?<my_host>\w{4})"

that you can test at https://regex101.com/r/fWR8LV/1

Ciao.

giuseppe

0 Karma

user9025
Path Finder

Thanks for reply but hostname is not available as a raw text.Its a filed, that can be referred by"host" directly,If i click on event, I see one field name as "host".

So in my splunk query, I can directly refer "host" without rex field.Following is how my event looks like:

INFO  2022-02-14T02:16:15,129 servername requestid=asds This is my log info
  • host =Hostname
  • source =logfilename

I am looking something, extract_regex(string,regex) where i can pass extract_regex(host,REGEX), 

i tried to replace REGEX with yours, but it does not work

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @user9025,

if you haven't the field hostname, search the regex on the _raw

| rex "^\w+\.\w+\.(?<my_host>\w{4})"

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

user9025
Path Finder

My existing query looks like follow and it works fine:

index=Myindex  sourcetype=app-sourcename "text to search" |  eval hostname= substr(host, len(host)-17) | stats count by host

Getting last 17 characters from string host.

Now i want to do operation on host before it goes to stats ,which is to extract 4 chars from hostname after skipping 2 dots, can u tell how can I modify existing query to do that?I searched sot string manipulation functions, but it does not seem to work here

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...