Splunk Search

How do you specify x-axis intervals on ChartView (type column)?

danillopavan
Communicator

Hi all,

I am using the object ChartView (type column) however I am not able to set the intervals (units) in axis X for 1 hour.

I am executing the query (timechart span=1h sum("XXXXXX") by "YYYYYY") however the data are being displayed with 4 hours of difference between each unit in AXIS X (Unit tick like 4 AM , 8 AM, 12 PM, 4 PM....).

In the JavaScript I have the below code:

Columnchart = new ChartView({
id: "chart1",
managerid: SearchManager.name,
type: "column",
"charting.axisTitleX.text": "Last hours",
"charting.chart.showDataLabels": "all",
"charting.legend.placement": "none",
"charting.scaleX": 1,
"charting.axisLabelsX.majorLabelVisibility": "show",
"charting.axisLabelsX.majorTickVisibility": "show",
"charting.axisLabelsX.minorTickVisibility": "show",
"charting.axisX.includeZero": true,
"charting.axisY.includeZero": true,
"charting.axisLabelsX.majorUnit": "0H30M0S" ,
"charting.chart.columnSpacing" : 2,
el: $('#modalVizualization')
}).render();

I believe that the property "majorUnit" is responsible for this configuration, riight? But it is not reflecting on the graph.

Thanks and regards,
Danillo Pavan

0 Karma
1 Solution

Sukisen1981
Champion

|eval newt=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H")

|chart sum(XXXXXX) over newt by YYYYYY

narrow down your search time range to first verify output

View solution in original post

0 Karma

danillopavan
Communicator

Hello Sukisen, to keep the command "span=1h", i needed to change it to:

bin _time span=1h | eval newt=strftime(_time,"%H:%M")| chart sum(XXXX) over newt by YYYY| rename NULL as YYYYY

Many Many thanks for your support!!!

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

hi firstly many apologies, I was stuck in some major issues @ work (why does it always happen over weekends :)?) and I did not get time to review your previous comments. I forgot that you were in the first place asking for a split on a per hour basis. The bin options is correct and I could have told you this earlier , had I not been stupid enough to miss it in the first place. Glad to see you figured it out yourself....happy splunking 🙂 🙂

0 Karma

danillopavan
Communicator

No problem, Sukisen. Thanks for your Support.

Taking the opportunity...could you please help me with other case? 🙂

My lookup command is not working just via JavaScript..if you execute it in Search Splunk...it is working fine...the question was uploaded in the below URL:

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/583217/why-cant-i-see-results-from-javascript-searchmanag.html

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

|eval newt=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H")

|chart sum(XXXXXX) over newt by YYYYYY

narrow down your search time range to first verify output

0 Karma

danillopavan
Communicator

Hello Sukisen, many thanks for your asnwer. It is working now!!! The Axis X had changed, however I would like to use the SPAN=1h in the query. It is briging all events and I want to show hour by hour. Is it possible to use the SPAN option for CHART command?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...