Splunk Search

How do you make fields into individual rows with each field value?

UMDTERPS
Communicator

I have a search that does the following:

| inputlookup system_scores.csv
| search "big search goes here"
| fields server_org both_server_desktop_score  desktop_score  server_score

The search gives me the my custom score for each org and the score for each type of machine (which is what I expect from the search):

server_org    both_server_desktop_score     desktop_score        server_score
Bob                        60                                                       10                                     40
Alice                      40                                                       10                                     30
Jill                           10                                                        5                                        5

However, I would like to get each column into a row for each of the scores/type of device. My envision the search would look like this:

server_org                        server_type                                                         Score
Bob                                        both_server_desktop_score                       60
Bob                                        desktop_score                                                  10
Bob                                        server_score                                                      40         
Alice                                      both_server_desktop_score                      40
Alice                                      desktop_score                                                  10         
Alice                                      server_score                                                      30
Jill                                           both_server_desktop_score                      10
Jill                                           desktop_score                                                   5
Jill                                           server_score                                                       5

Is this possible?  Any ideas?

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Hi
You could use

| untable server_org FieldName FieldValue

See more https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.5/SearchReference/Untable
r. Ismo

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

| eval server_type=mvappend("both_server_desktop_score", "desktop_score", "server_score")
| eval Score=mvappend(both_server_desktop_score, desktop_score, server_score)
| eval combined=mvzip(server_type, Score, "=")
| fields server_org, combined
| mvexpand combined
| rex field=combined "(?<server_type>[^=]*)=(?<Score>.*)"
| table server_org, server_type, Score

UMDTERPS
Communicator

This appears to work as well, but the "table" command simplifies it?

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Hi
You could use

| untable server_org FieldName FieldValue

See more https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.5/SearchReference/Untable
r. Ismo

UMDTERPS
Communicator

This works! Sorry it took a while to get back, this site wouldn't let me do anything on it because it was throwing 500 errors. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...