Splunk Search

How do I use greater/less than with floating points in eval?

eyetter3

So, I've crafted a query that I thought would be working, but due to the nature of floating point numbers in Splunk, it's not working...

Basically, my setup is as follows: I have a field "some.long.buried{}.field" (renamed because eval complained) that contains values ranging from 0.0 to 1.0 depending on an output of my system. If something happens (error, exception, warning, etc) then that value will get logged as -1. I am attempting to bucket it into decimals from 0 to 1 and then two catch all buckets for values less than 0 (errors) or values greater than 1 (who the heck knows, but better to have it!)

What I expect is a count of each of the buckets. However, I am finding that only the values with -1 are getting caught. Upon further poking around in documentation, it seems to be the functionality of floating point and the nuances that come with that? My values are quite long (0.04716907849197179 as an example) so I am assuming this is what is going on. I've read the following posts already and tried to figure out how to get the result I'm looking for but it doesn't seem to be working... Any help would be very appreciated!

(I've been told I can't post links, but I've read the posts on comparing floating point numbers (search vs where), the eval and bin documentation, and also bucketing fields that are floating point values). You think that last one would've helped more than it did!

index=myindex "some.long.buried{}.field"="*" | rename some.long.buried{}.field as testing  | eval bucket=case(testing<0,"x<0",testing<.1,"0<=x<.1",testing<.2,".1<=x<.2",testing<.3,".2<=x<.3",testing<.4,"3.<=x<.4",testing<.5,".4<=x<.5",testing<.6,".5<=x<.6",testing<.7,".6<=x<.7",testing<.8,".7<=x<.8",testing<.9,".8<=x<.9",testing<1,".9<=x<1", testing>=1,".x>=1") | stats count by bucket
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

FWIW, this run-anywhere example seems to run fine. What results are you expecting?

| makeresults | eval testing=0.04716907849197179  | eval bucket=case(testing<0,"x<0",testing<.1,"0<=x<.1",testing<.2,".1<=x<.2",testing<.3,".2<=x<.3",testing<.4,"3.<=x<.4",testing<.5,".4<=x<.5",testing<.6,".5<=x<.6",testing<.7,".6<=x<.7",testing<.8,".7<=x<.8",testing<.9,".8<=x<.9",testing<1,".9<=x<1", testing>=1,".x>=1") | stats count by bucket

Any time you find Splunk documentation to be lacking, submit feedback (not a comment) at the bottom of the page. The Docs team are great about responding to use feedback and often are quick to make changes based on it.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Indeed, this seems to work just fine (tested in Splunk 7.2.1 and 6.5.3).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...