Splunk Search

How do I Search for IP address hitting a specific port + any other ports?

lucamarc
Path Finder

I think this should be within my grasp, but I don't seem to be able to create a search that returns what I'm looking for.

I'm trying to return from syslog any IP address that hits a specific port (say 12345), but also attempts connecting to any other ports other than 12345. In my scenario, a well-behaved host should exclusively connect to port 12345 and nothing else.

What I'm coming up with either returns no results or only results matching DPT=12345; it does not return anything in between.

Thanks

0 Karma

horsefez
Motivator

Hi @lucamarc,

how about something along those lines.
As you didn't provide any example log data, I'm not sure how your logs look like. --> This is pseudo-code.

index=whatever DPT=* | eval port_type=if(DPT=="12345", "Normal", "Other") | stats values(DPT) by IP, port_type

0 Karma

lucamarc
Path Finder

Thanks @pyro_wood, I probably didn't explain this very well. I think that what you suggested is returning every host that ever attempted a connection, no matter if it never attempted connecting to port 12345.

I'm only interested in (the very few) IPs that both:
1. connect (or attempt to connect) to port 12345 AND
2. attempted connecting to a different port (any other port)

I'm collecting logs from Ubuntu 18.04 LST servers. This is the query I tried, based on your suggestion:

index="syslog" DPT=* | eval port_type=if(DPT=="12345", "Normal", "Abuser") | stats values(DPT) by SRC, port_type
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...