Splunk Search

Historical count of open Jobs - at point in time.

ajos32
Engager

I have a simple ticketing system.

I need to show the number of tickets open for each client at the end of each week - since 1/1/2015.

This search will show the number of jobs opened for that week

...Project="MyClient1" 
| eval DateCreated=strptime(Created,"%d/%m/%Y %H:%M")
| eval DateResolved=strptime(Resolved,"%d/%m/%Y %H:%M")
| eval JobState=if(DateResolved>DateCreated,"Calculated Closed","CalculatedAsOpen")
| where JobState="CalculatedAsOpen"
| timechart span=1week count(JobState) by JobState

but does not count jobs open from previous weeks.

The query would need to evaluate DateResolved against the current timechart time to determine if it was still open.

A similar question is posted here https://answers.splunk.com/answers/78275/timechart-accumulation-of-all-events-from-previous-times.ht...

AJ

alt text

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Without seeing your dataset, I can recommend that you would change your query a bit..

... | bin span=1w _time | stats count(JobState) by Customer

This assumes that you have a value for Customer declared, and that each event has this Customer field in the data.

0 Karma

ajos32
Engager

My example search is probably misleading.

The JobState needs to be evaluated against the "point in time the TimeChart/Bin is currently in" to determine if the Job was open at that point in time.

Eg If DateResolved > CurrentDateInTimeChart then JobState=Open

This same problem is presented (and better articulated) here:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/78275/timechart-accumulation-of-all-events-from-previous-times.ht...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...