Splunk Search

Help with tracking vulnerability data over time

responsys_cm
Builder

I'm trying to figure out the smartest way to track vulnerability data over time and account for how DHCP may mean that a single host is scanned at multiple IPs.

So, I've tried a search that looks for all vulnerability data and then it does an inner join by dest and _time on a subsearch that looks for a particular event ID that contains the hostname. I'm guessing I can them do a | streamstats max(_time) AS last_scan by dest | where _time=last_scan.

But for whatever reason, this search doesn't come back with any results:

index=vulnerabilities sourcetype=nessus NOT "Plugin ID,CVE," NOT dest=\*/* | join type=inner _time,dest [search index=vulnerabilities nessus_id="11936" OR nessus_id="12053" OR nessus_id="60035" NOT dest=\*/* | rex field=plugin_output "(?i)resolves\sas\s(?P<hostname>[^\.]+)\.(?P<domainname>\S+)?\." | eval hostname=if(isnull(hostname),dest,hostname) | fields hostname] | table _time,dest,hostname,signature_name 

What am I doing wrong here?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

One reason that it does not work (correctly) is that you cannot escape asterisks in SPL so this part is bad:

NOT dest=\*/*

You have to do something like this instead:

| regex dest!="\*/.*"
0 Karma

dolivasoh
Contributor

Try this. Any results?

index=vulnerabilities sourcetype=nessus | join type=inner _time,dest [search index=vulnerabilities | rex field=plugin_output "(?i)resolves\sas\s(?P<hostname>[^\.]+)\.(?P<domainname>\S+)?\." | eval hostname=if(isnull(hostname),dest,hostname) | fields hostname]
0 Karma

TimMc
Explorer

Not really sure about the index. Try breaking down the entire query and make sure that each part is working as expected.

0 Karma

responsys_cm
Builder

The parentheses didn't change anything...

0 Karma

TimMc
Explorer

Are parentheses required for your sub search to work?

[search index=vulnerabilities (nessus_id="11936" OR nessus_id="12053" OR nessus_id="60035") NOT dest=\*/*

Tim.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Thanks for the Memories! Splunk University, .conf24, and Community Connections

Thank you to everyone in the Splunk Community who joined us for .conf24 – starting with Splunk University and ...

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...