Splunk Search

Help with search

unifirst101
Engager

Hi, I am using Splunk to grab disk drive metrics but often times I am pulling metrics for drives I don't care about. I want to exclude these from some searches, I am able to do this with a series of NOT/OR commands, as shown below,  but I feel like there is an easier way with less syntax. 

How can I exclude instances G thru L ,  in one command, without having to specify each instance as I do below?

host=vor* NOT (host="vor-pxy-prd1*" instance=G: OR instance=H: OR instance=I: OR instance=J: OR instance=K: OR instance=L:)

Thanks for any ideas -

Labels (1)
0 Karma

unifirst101
Engager

The first one worked great.  I'm not able to get any results from the 2nd one even the drives I want do not show up, not sure why but I am not overly familiar with the regex side in Splunk.  Thanks

0 Karma

unifirst101
Engager

These are both great ideas and look cleaner than what I have been using - thank you!

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There are a couple of alternatives, but neither is much better than what you have now.

Use IN

host=vor* NOT (host="vor-pxy-prd1*" instance IN ("G:", "H:", "I:", "J:", "K:", "L:")

Or use regex to filter using a regular expression

host=vor* NOT (host="vor-pxy-prd1*")
| regex instance="^[GHIJKL]:"
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...