Splunk Search

Help with field extraction for specific start line for log

joesrepsolc
Communicator

Trying to extract the value of the 1st WORD in line 3 of each log (i.e. FAILURE or SUCCESS) and put that into a field extraction called "Status". The 3rd line will start with that word, then be followed by a colon, then a space.
REGEX skills still lacking. Trying to learn. Help anyone???

>Informational  August 9, 2019 9:45:40 AM CDT
Transaction "Name of Transaction" Summary:
FAILURE: Message failed at August 09, 2019 09:45:40 AM
Inbound transaction
Error scheduling linked transaction (TransactionName): Attempt to run TransactionName as linked job but it has 'Do Not Run' set.

>Informational  August 9, 2019 9:50:02 AM CDT
Transaction "Name of Transaction" Summary:
SUCCESS: TransactionName was successful at August 09, 2019 09:50:02 AM
Outbound transaction
Source files FTP'd from SOURCE to DESTINATION
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi joesrepsolc,
if your values are only SUCCESS or FAILURE, you could use something like this

(?ms)(?<my_field>FAILURE|SUCCESS):

test it at https://regex101.com/r/UEahRa/1

Bye.
Giuseppe

View solution in original post

jpolvino
Builder

This will give you whatever is after "Summary:" followed by 1 more more spaces:

| rex "Summary:\s+(?<Status>[^:]+):"

See link text

0 Karma

joesrepsolc
Communicator

This works great for inline searches too. I was trying not to have to do this in every search though, so the field extraction method is working best for me. Still appreciate the quick answers too jpolvino.

I see the logic you're using too. So anything after the "Summary: " up to the next line up to the ":" right? Man, I need to understand this stuff better.

Thank you.

0 Karma

jpolvino
Builder

Glad Giuseppe's search worked for you. The strategy I used above is handy for may searches, where you are looking for a bunch of characters that are NOT something. In my example, the [^:]+ means "match 1 more more characters that does not include colon." This strategy is invaluable when working with delimiters such as space, comma, double quote, etc.

0 Karma

joesrepsolc
Communicator

love it. I still get mixed up between characters, and whole words. Still learning. But this logic is very helpful. Thanks!

0 Karma

michael_schmidt
Path Finder

Regex101.com as shown in the links they provided will be your godsend when it comes to creating and testing regexes.

0 Karma

joesrepsolc
Communicator

i am using that, just hard to figure out which commands/syntax works. When I copy/paste in the ones from this helpful community, they always work perfectly (annoying... haha). It's just getting to the point to know when to use what solution. I'll get there!!!

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi joesrepsolc,
if your values are only SUCCESS or FAILURE, you could use something like this

(?ms)(?<my_field>FAILURE|SUCCESS):

test it at https://regex101.com/r/UEahRa/1

Bye.
Giuseppe

joesrepsolc
Communicator

WOW. that was fast and works perfect! dissecting the regex to understand. Always impressed on how helpful everyone is on this site. So thank you!

I was stuck on using the carrot ^ at the beginning of the line, guess that would still work though, just learning more about regex use in Splunk.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Always at your disposal!
Bye and see next time.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...