Splunk Search

Help with Timechart search

chriscioffi88

Hi there,

I am just trying to get my head around a visualization that I want to create.

Scenario:

To identify outliers in volumes of traffic.

I want to add together the total bytes (to be displayed on the X axis), and display them against days and hours of a given day (to be displayed on the Y axis). On the scatter graph I would like to see a different line for the day of the week.

..| stats sum(bytes) as total_bytes by date_wday, date_hour

This plots each date_wday on the visualization on the same line. I would like them separated so that I would have each individual weekday represented on the visualization.

Hope that makes sense.

0 Karma

jitendragupta
Path Finder

In this case it is difficult to show total_bytes on X-axis. You can try below code with date_hour on X-axis, total_bytes on Y-axis and date_wday shown with different colors.

<base query> | rename _time as Time | eval date_wday=strftime(Time,"%d/%m/%Y") | eval date_hour=strftime(Time,"%H") | stats sum(bytes) as total_bytes by date_wday, date_hour | fillnull | where total_bytes>=0 | table date_wday date_hour  total_bytes

alt text

0 Karma

chriscioffi88

Apologies, I meant total bytes on the Y and the date_hour on the X - more or less exactly like your visualization.

I used your code, thank you 🙂 but it is not matching any events or sticking any data into tables.

I am going to try and troubleshoot this myself, but if you have any idea why, please let me know 🙂

Thanks

0 Karma

chriscioffi88

Blockquote
| rename _time as Time | eval date_wday=strftime(Time,"%d/%m/%Y") | eval date_hour=strftime(Time,"%H") | stats sum(bytes) as total_bytes by date_wday, date_hour | fillnull | where total_bytes>=0 | table date_wday date_hour total_bytes

So because we are eval date_wday and date_hour, I am not able to use them for the functions. Is there a way around this?

0 Karma

jitendragupta
Path Finder

I gave u a general solution using index=_internal because I don't know your actual query. If solution matches your requirements then u can modify it as per the need.

0 Karma

chriscioffi88

Ok I will give it a go, but the visualization you have generated is perfect.

0 Karma

khristian_p
Engager

Have you tried timechart span=1d count by total_bytes . This should display results on a per-day basis.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.0/SearchReference/Timechart

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...