Splunk Search

Group by field / table

ross_warren

Hi,
I am grabbing interface errors from Cisco routers (via snmpget) that form a distinct path through the network. I want to present them in the same order of the path..

if I dedup the path_order, it works, but not over any period of time.. I want to be able to group the whole path (defined by path_order) (1-19) and display this "table" over time.

index=interface_path sourcetype=interface_errors | dedup path_order| table _time,host_name, ifName,ifOutDiscards,ifOutErrors,ifInDiscards,ifInErrors path_order | sort path_order

Sample of data output (formatting might not be screwy)(host_name field removed for sample data)

_time ifName ifOutDiscards ifOutErrors ifInDiscards ifInErrors path_order
2014-03-03 20:00:00 GigabitEthernet0/0 11508 0 0 0 1
2014-03-03 20:00:03 FastEthernet5/1 5471 30595 0 1 2
2014-03-03 20:00:13 POS2/0 3 0 4 13044 3
2014-03-03 20:00:24 POS2/0 674 0 14 368866 4

Does this make sense? I could be going about this wrong.. Looking for suggestions!

I would love to be able to make a sparkline for each Error and Discard field showing errors over time on one table/chart. But i think i need to figure out the grouping first..

Thanks,
Ross Warrren

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Assuming that within a 10 min period, there are only one event/entry with one path_order (since the cron job runs every 10 min, there will be one set of entries every 10 min.), try this:

index=interface_path sourcetype=interface_errors | eval orig_time=_time | bucket span=10m _time  | stats first(orig_time) as orig_time ,first(host_name) as host_name, first(ifName) as ifName,first(ifOutDiscards) as ifOutDiscards,first(ifOutErrors) as ifOutErrors,first(ifInDiscards) as ifInDiscards,first(ifInErrors) as ifInErrors  by path_order,_time | table orig_time,host_name, ifName,ifOutDiscards,ifOutErrors,ifInDiscards,ifInErrors, path_order | sort orig_time, path_order
0 Karma

ross_warren

Wow.. At first cut and paste this looks great! wow.. Thank you somesoni2! Need to take the time to understand what is going on now.. Give me a day to check it out!

WOWOWW!

0 Karma

ross_warren

Pathorder repeats 1-19, there will not be multiple events in the same 5 min period with the same pathorder number. clear as mud?

It takes about 5 min to get the data from all the routers and the cron job runs every 10 minutes.

side note: If any wants some snmpget/walk scripts.. Willing to share..

Thanks, Ross Warren

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Will there be multiple events with same path_order? Will path_order set 1-19 repeats for different calls?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...