Splunk Search

Graphing multiple data sources in one chart

Branden
Builder

I found some similar questions on here, but not quite what I'm trying to do.

We have web access logs from several three different web servers (same host, though). I'd like to graph the number of unique hits from each web server on the same graph in a dashboard.

For example, one search is like this:

<searchString>host="xyz" sourcetype="*access*" source="*foo.access*" | timechart dc(remote_host)</searchString>

Another search/graph is like this:

<searchString>host="xyz" sourcetype="*access*" source="*bar.access*" | timechart dc(remote_host)</searchString>

I'd like both of these results to appear on the same graph. How can I do this?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can simply OR them together, and then use the searchmatch function of eval to give yourself a field that indicates whether this is a source containing 'foo' or a source containing 'bar'.

(Im assuming there are a lot of difference sources matching the foo.access. condition, as well as a lot of sources matching the bar.access. condition.)

This should work:

host="xyz" sourcetype="*access*" ( source="*foo.access*" OR source="*bar.access*" ) | eval type=if(searchmatch(source="*foo.access.*"),"foo","bar") | timechart dc(remote_host) by type

NOTE: this is very similar to this other answer here: http://answers.splunk.com/questions/5423/comparing-values-returned-by-two-separate-searches/5439#543...

Branden
Builder

Thanks for the response!

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Probably

... | timechart dc(remote_host) by source

or

... | rex field=source "(?<s>[A-Za-z]+)\.access\b" | timechart dc(remote_host) by s

coolsachin2390
Explorer

Hello,
Even m facing a same type of problem and by source works, but what if there are n no of distinct values in source and i want to plot graph for only 2 particular values..

0 Karma

Branden
Builder

Aaah. Worked! Thanks, both of you!

0 Karma

southeringtonp
Motivator

If you have angle brackets in the regex you need to either escape them, or preferably wrap them in a CDATA block. This link has an example of what CDATA looks like: http://www.quackit.com/xml/tutorial/xml_cdata.cfm

0 Karma

Branden
Builder

Thank you for the reply. The "by source" solution works, but the path is too long for it to show the entire source file.
I can't get the "rex field=source" solution to work. Every time I ever try to use a rex in an XML file, I get a "mismatched tag" error. Not sure how to get around that.

0 Karma

southeringtonp
Motivator

It sounds like you want:

sourcetype="*access*" | timechart dc(remote_host) by host

(wrapping <searchString> tags removed for clarity)

southeringtonp
Motivator

Yes - my apologies, I read too quickly and missed where you said they were all on the same host. See below - the rex approach gkanapathy suggests is likely your best one.

0 Karma

Branden
Builder

Thank you for the reply. I think "by host" should be "by source", no? That works but, as I said in my comment below, the path to the source file is too long so it gets abbreviated, making it impossible to tell which source is which on the graph...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...