Splunk Search

Geostats returning the same lat lon for all events

ccsfdave
Builder

Greetings,

Prior to getting a stream of this data next week, I am preparing with some CSV lookups. I have two files right now, the sample data from an access point and a lookup of the AP's name and the lat lon

Client Username,Client IP Address,Client MAC Address,Association Time,Vendor,AP Name,Radio Type,Device Name,Map Location,SSID,Profile,VLAN ID,Protocol,Session Duration,Policy Type,Avg. Session Throughput (Kbps)

,10.x.x.x,z:z:z:z:z:z,Fri Jun 24 17:09:26 PDT 2016,Apple,AP0000-street&avenue0,802.11a/n/ac,SVN-WLC-HDWIFI,System Campus > HDWIFI > HDWIFI-POD4,#cityWiFi,#cityWiFi,254,802.11n(5GHz),5min 12sec,NOTAVAILABLE,<0.1

so that's the data, below is the lookup

AP Name,lat,lon
AP0000-street&avenue0,37.697842, -123.000534

This search yields the right results:

| inputcsv StreetAP |join "AP Name" [|inputcsv StreetAPtable]|rename "AP Name" as apname|stats count by apname lat lon

results:

apname  lat lon count
AP0000-street&avenue0   37.697842, -123.000534  221

This search yields all the same lat/lon

| inputcsv MarketAP |join "AP Name" [|inputcsv MarketAPtable]|rename "AP Name" as apname|geostats latfield=lat longfield=lon `count by apname

Where have I gone wrong?

0 Karma
1 Solution

craigv_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

How close are the coordinates together? The geostats command groups the latitudes and longitudes into bins for easy visualization. You may have to edit binspanlat and binspanlong attributes to the geostats command to ensure that multiple location don't get consolidated into one because they are close to each other

View solution in original post

dhirendra761
Contributor

This app will be helpful:
https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3124/

0 Karma

craigv_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

How close are the coordinates together? The geostats command groups the latitudes and longitudes into bins for easy visualization. You may have to edit binspanlat and binspanlong attributes to the geostats command to ensure that multiple location don't get consolidated into one because they are close to each other

ccsfdave
Builder

@craigv

I finally had a chance to test this and though I need to change the map, I can see in the table that the lat/lon is changing and thus I think this did the trick

0 Karma

ccsfdave
Builder

Oh...yeah they are each a small city block (1/10 mi) from each other

0 Karma

craigv_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes so in that case you will want to reduce binspanlat and binspanlong to the extent practicable. i would half each of them until you get something that works. You also might find that the splunk tiles can't zoom in that much. In that case you might have to use an alternate tile server for the maps.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...