Splunk Search

Generate report of top n search queries

staze
Path Finder

I'd like to generate a report of N top search queries from my apache weblogs.

Log entry for a search looks like:

123.456.789.000 - - [22/Sep/2010:13:58:18 -0700] "GET /search?SearchableText=Gateway HTTP/1.1" 200 5857 "http://www.example.com/" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8"

How would I go about doing this? I mean, I can do something like:

host="www" file="search" SearchableText="*" which returns the search terms in date/time order. But it would be nice to show them in frequency, etc, and return N number (where I can set N to 100, 1000, 10000, etc).

Frequency would probably also have to account for case. So, probably lc all the results, then tally them up.

Thanks!

0 Karma

staze
Path Finder

I believe I got it. I'm not sure why it wasn't rendering, but I managed to get it working...

host="www" file="search" SearchableText="*" | top limit=100 SearchableText

So yeah, this works.

0 Karma

staze
Path Finder

I think I got it.

host="www" file="search" SearchableText="*" | top limit=100 SearchableText

0 Karma

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Field names in Splunk are case sensitive. Try: host="www" file="search" SearchableText="*" | top SearchableText

0 Karma

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

A report of top hosts for an error log might be:

index=stuff sourcetype=error_log | top host

If you manually manipulate stats:

index=stuff sourcetype=errors | stats count by host | sort -count | head 10

For your case, you need to extract a field called SearchableText. Once you extract it (via rex or interactive field extraction) you can report by it:

host=www source=<your log file> | rex "SearchableText=(?<SearchableText>.*[^ ]) HTTP" | top SearchableText

Make sure you limit your time range to test this out.

staze
Path Finder

So, I've just tried:

host="www" file="search" SearchableText="*" | top searchabletext

but it never seems to render the results (the results section just says "Waiting for Search Preview Results").

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...