Splunk Search

Finding the ratio between fields in different events

minikatz
Engager

I have the a search  (picture below) which is calculating the open option interest on several ticker symbols.  I was able to figure out how to calculate the sum of the "Call/Put Open Interest" field for each ticker, I can't figure out how to calculate the ratio between them. For example the Apple (AAPL) symbol should have a field with value 1.53. This was found by manually dividing the call open interest (1825974) by the put open interest (1193360). How can I create a new field that calculates this for me? 

minikatz_1-1601158527249.png

My search is:

index=raw 
| eventstats max(_time) as maxtime 
| where _time=maxtime 
| stats sum(open_interest) as OI by ul_symbol, put_call
| stats list(put_call) as "Option Type" , list(OI) as "Call/Put Open Interest", sum(OI) as "Total Open Interest" by ul_symbol
| sort -"Total Open Interest"
| rename ul_symbol as "Symbol"

And an example of an event is:

{ [-]
   ask: 8.9
   bid: 6.5
   delta: -0.46
   dte: 42
   expiration_date: Nov 6
   gamma: 0.02
   high_price: 9.85
   last: 7.85
   low_price: 7.75
   net_change: -2.59
   open_interest: 6
   percent_change: -24.83
   put_call: PUT
   rho: -0.07
   strike: 112
   symbol: AAPL_110620P112
   theta: -0.091
   time_value: 7.85
   ul_symbol: AAPL
   vega: 0.153
   volume: 55
}

I'm definitely new to all this. Appreciate the help!

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

renjith_nair
Legend

Not clear how you are differentiating between call and put. However, from your existing search, you may try

Your search
|eval call=mvindex('Call/Put Open Interest',0),put=mvindex('Call/Put Open Interest',1)|eval ratio=call/put

If its possible to identify call and put from the event, you may do that in the stats as well

e.g.

Your search
| stats list(put_call) as "Option Type" , list(OI) as "Call/Put Open Interest", sum(OI) as "Total Open Interest",
first(eval(if(<condition for call>),OI,null()) ) as call, first(eval(if(<condition for put>),OI,null()) ) as put by ul_symbol
|eval ratio=call/put

---
What goes around comes around. If it helps, hit it with Karma 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

Not clear how you are differentiating between call and put. However, from your existing search, you may try

Your search
|eval call=mvindex('Call/Put Open Interest',0),put=mvindex('Call/Put Open Interest',1)|eval ratio=call/put

If its possible to identify call and put from the event, you may do that in the stats as well

e.g.

Your search
| stats list(put_call) as "Option Type" , list(OI) as "Call/Put Open Interest", sum(OI) as "Total Open Interest",
first(eval(if(<condition for call>),OI,null()) ) as call, first(eval(if(<condition for put>),OI,null()) ) as put by ul_symbol
|eval ratio=call/put

---
What goes around comes around. If it helps, hit it with Karma 🙂
0 Karma

minikatz
Engager

That did the trick! I read up on mvindex yesterday but it didn't click with me that it was what I needed. I've got a better understanding of it now. Thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...