Splunk Search

Finding the diff of two time stamps is returning null/ empty value

subhrangshu
Explorer

Hello,

I am trying to find two events from my log with time into consideration, as earliest and latest. Next I am trying to find the total time by doing a diff between latest and earliest, but I am getting no data back.

Here is how my query looks like:

index=test sourcetype="test:node"  "enter" OR "exit"
| stats earliest(_time) AS Earliest, latest(_time) AS Latest
| eval diff=Latest-Earliest
| eval FirstEvent=strftime(Earliest,"%m/%d/%y %H:%M") | eval LastEvent=strftime(Latest,"%m/%d/%y %H:%M")
| eval DiffEvent=strftime(diff,"%m/%d/%y %H:%M")
| eval temp = tostring(round(strptime(Latest,"%m/%d/%y %H:%M") -strptime(Earliest,"%m/%d/%y %H:%M"),0),"duration")
| eval NetTotalTime=replace(temp,"(\d*)\+*(\d+):(\d+):(\d+)","\1 days \2 hours \3 minutes \4 secs")
| table FirstEvent, LastEvent, NetTotalTime, diff, Earliest,DiffEvent

And here is what I get in my result:

FirstEvent | LastEvent|  NetTotalTime|  diff|  Earliest|  DiffEvent

07/07/20 04:5608/11/20 08:01 3035102.8751594078003.85302/05/70 08:35

FYI: I am only interested in FirstEvent, LastEvent, NetTotalTime (this is coming blank). The last 3 columns (diff, Earliest,DiffEvent) are just to show you how the data looks like.

Hope to get an answer soon.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Keep in mind that the _time field is an integer, despite the appearance of it as a string in most output.  That means using strptime on _time is meaningless as the field is already "parsed".

Try this search

index=test sourcetype="test:node"  "enter" OR "exit"
| eval FirstEvent=strftime(Earliest,"%m/%d/%y %H:%M") | eval LastEvent=strftime(Latest,"%m/%d/%y %H:%M")
| eval temp = tostring(diff,"duration")
| eval NetTotalTime=replace(temp,"(\d*)\+*(\d+):(\d+):(\d+)","\1 days \2 hours \3 minutes \4 secs")
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Keep in mind that the _time field is an integer, despite the appearance of it as a string in most output.  That means using strptime on _time is meaningless as the field is already "parsed".

Try this search

index=test sourcetype="test:node"  "enter" OR "exit"
| eval temp = tostring(diff,"duration")
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...