Splunk Search

Find Time-Range for Most Recent event.

njwrk
Engager

So I have splunk events and I want to display information as a time range. For example:
event type1: Started proc1 id=123
event type2: Stoped proc1 id=123
(Assume id 123 is associated with proc1)
So I want to display the time duration for which proc1 ran most recently. I have following splunk query:
index | search "started" OR "Stopped" | where id=123 | sort - _time | head 2

This gives me the 2 events which I'am interested in. But how can I extract the _time from both events?

Tags (3)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

index=YourIndexHere sourcetype=YourSourcetypeHere started OR stopped | stats range(_time) AS duration BY id

niketn
Legend

You can easily create a transaction with id as if transaction id and startswith and endswith criteria as *Started* and *Stopped* respectively. Transaction command automatically generates the correlated eventcount and duration between the events. However, stats will be faster and better alternative in this scenario. Please give following a try:

index=<YourIndexName> "Started" OR "Stopped" id=*
| eval Status=if(searchmatch("Started"),"Started","Stopped")
| stats count as eventcount values(Status) as Status min(_time) as MinTime max(_time) as MaxTime by id
| search eventcount>1 Status="Started" Statsus="Stopped"
| eval duration=MaxTime-MinTime
| eval _time=MinTime
| fieldformat MinTime=strftime(MinTIme,"%c")
| fieldformat MaxTime=strftime(MaxTIme,"%c")
| table _time Status id duration MinTime MaxTime

If you want to find transactions which have started but not stopped you can change the search criteria accordingly.

niketn
Legend

@njwrk Please accept the answer if this has helped.

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...