Splunk Search

Filling in missing '_time' rows (without using timechart)

cyberdiver
Explorer

cyberdiver_0-1629817401153.png

I want to know how I can incrementally go through and add missing times (hours) per user across a number of users.   Also the fail_num for those times should be '0'.    I've thought of using foreach, but I'm not sure this is the route to go here.

Above is a result showing only 2 users from the query I'm making in one of my previous posts ("Detecting-Spikes-Anomalies-in-Failed-Logins-over-time").

For cases where the fail_num was 0 no entry was made and therefore I have no row for that timeslot.  When I use trendline to analyze this it won't work because it doesn't have enough points of data to compute the moving average.  I cannot use timechart to do this.  

So, if there is a more programmatic way to add rows that are missing in by using regex or some more efficient method, then someone please enlighten me on this. I can't use timechart to fill these in because it breaks other things in my query.   I've thought of using foreach, but I'm not sure this is the route to go here.

If you're wondering why I can't use timechart it makes it impossible for me to do the analysis unless 3d dimensional analysis or something exists in Splunk...sadly I'm not mathematically or programmatically gifted enough to think up such a solution.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm not sure what the user field here means but I'd try something with gentimes.
Something like:

<your_query>| append [ gentimes start="2021/08/21:10:38:00" end="2021/09/21:10:38:00" increment=1h
| fields starttime
| rename starttime as _time
| eval fail_num=0
| eval user="root" ]
| stats sum(fail_num) as fail_num values(user) as user by _time

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK. It wasn't clear from the original posting what you're doing with the users (there were uniqe time values so I assumed the users were non-overlapping).

If you mean that for every user you can have a separate sequence of dates, instead of | eval user="root" you can do

| users=mvappend("user1","user2","user3"...) | mvexpand users

(of course you'd add | eval fail_num=0 after that)

Then at the end you'd stats not by _time but by _time and user.

Is this more what you need?

cyberdiver
Explorer

I'll try that out.   In my full query though I'm querying thousands of different user names so I would have to find a way to do the mvappend for each distinct user.  In other words, I would have to automate that almost like a for loop over an array of all the users that are returned by the search.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ahhh, so you'd probably have to try other approach like using subsearch | stats values or something similar.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Oh man, I found a very ugly solution (can't pass a multivalue result fields from subsearch in any other way; if anyone knows a workaround I'd be grateful to know).

Let's assume I get my users from a winevents index.

To create my list of all the times with users I'd do something like that:

| gentimes start=1 end=1000
| fields starttime
| eval id=1
| join id
[ search index=winevents
| stats values(user) as users
| fields users
| mvexpand users
| transpose 0
| eval id=1 ]
| fields - id column
| foreach row*
[eval users=mvappend(users,'<<FIELD>>')]
| fields starttime users
| mvexpand users

Of course at the end you'd have to append it with this additional count field equalling zero and sum with your original search.

Yes, I know this solution is very ugly - it contains mv combining/splitting as well as transposition and is horribly ugly overall. But it seems to work 😉

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm not sure what the user field here means but I'd try something with gentimes.
Something like:

<your_query>| append [ gentimes start="2021/08/21:10:38:00" end="2021/09/21:10:38:00" increment=1h
| fields starttime
| rename starttime as _time
| eval fail_num=0
| eval user="root" ]
| stats sum(fail_num) as fail_num values(user) as user by _time

cyberdiver
Explorer

I guess the only problem then would be how to do that for every user.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...