Splunk Search

Field extractor warning.

howyagoin
Contributor

Hi,

Lately when I run searches I tend to get a warning on the screen along the lines of:

Field extractor name=access-extractions is unusually slow (max single event time=1140ms, probes=375 warning max=1000ms)

What causes this, and, what should I be looking at to tweak to make Splunk happy again?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

hazekamp
Builder

Howyagoin,

This is a warning message introduced in 4.2.1. It will warn when extractions exceed 1000ms. I have browsed limits.conf without finding a setting to increase this threshold; however I would recommend addressing the underlying extraction.

In this case the "access-extractions" transform Regex may need to be adjusted to provide faster matching. This typically involves anchors which will invalidate the match quicker.

View solution in original post

hazekamp
Builder

Howyagoin,

This is a warning message introduced in 4.2.1. It will warn when extractions exceed 1000ms. I have browsed limits.conf without finding a setting to increase this threshold; however I would recommend addressing the underlying extraction.

In this case the "access-extractions" transform Regex may need to be adjusted to provide faster matching. This typically involves anchors which will invalidate the match quicker.

howyagoin
Contributor

Thanks for this - I spent some time staring at it and came to the same conclusion last night -- I fear what triggered it was a somewhat imprecise search I was conducting which was indeed going through httpd access files which were indexed. I'll have to work on adding sourcetypes to searches a bit more. Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...