Splunk Search

Field extraction of log file -- Each line has different format, how can I include all format in one regex?

samlinsongguo
Communicator

I am doing field extraction for a log file format as below:
line 1: field1, field2, field3, field4
line 2: field1, field2, field3, field5, field4
line 3: field1, field2, field3, field4

I can write separate regex1 for line 1 and regex 2 for line 2 format, but when I do field extraction, I can only use one regex, how can I put both regex in to cover all log format? Any suggestions?
Cheers
Sam

0 Karma

samlinsongguo
Communicator

Thank you for all the answers, what I am looking for is more on index / normalize the log when it injected rather than doing field extraction in the search query.

To achieve my goal, I end up have two field extraction Rex for this sourcetype, it seems give what I want. But I am wondering would that consume too much resource when I inject large mount of logs?

0 Karma

cpetterborg
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can use something like the following (the rex command is the part you are interested in, and the rest is the setup for showing that it works) :

| makeresults 
| eval raw="line 1: field1, field2, field3, field4
line 2: field1, field2, field3, field5, field4
line 3: field1, field2, field3, field4" 
| makemv raw delim="
"
| mvexpand raw
| rex field=raw "[^:]+:\s*(?P<field1>[^,]+),\s*(?P<field2>[^,]+),\s*(?P<field3>[^,]+),\s*((?P<field5>[^,]+?),\s*?)?+\s*(?P<field4>[^,]+$)"

You will probably have to make adjustments for your actual data, but this should get you started on a complete solution.

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please check -
sourcetype="multiplefields" | rex max_match=0 "(?<FIELDS>\S+)[\,|\n]" | table _raw FIELDS

you just want to pull all fields and make a table like this photo or some other operations you want to do, please clarify -
(PS- on the photo, one or two fields are not picked up, that is due to my sample file.)
alt text

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...