Splunk Search

Field Extraction - Multi Line Text Comma Separated

Razziq
Explorer

Hello,

Hoping someone can help with a Field Extraction question regarding multi line text and capturing a specific value before a comma for each line.

The text example is below where I am trying to get the Tagname for each line, but the Field Extraction is only applying to the first line. Testing in Rubular or Regex101 and it works fine.

Tag: Tagname,Date,Value
Tag: Tagname1,Date1,Value1
Tag: Tagname2,Date2,Value2
Tag: Tagname3,Date3,Value3
Tag: Tagname4,Date4,Value4
Tag: Tagname5,Date5,Value5

I've tried :

Tag:\s(?<Tag>.+?),

(?ms)Tag:\s (?<Tag>.+?),

(?m)Tag: \s(?<Tag>.+?),

As well as a few others, but all seem to stop after the first capture. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The default behavior is to extract only the first match.  To get more matches, use the max_match=0 option of rex in SPL, the MV_ADD attribute at search time, or the REPEAT_MATCH attribute at index time.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The default behavior is to extract only the first match.  To get more matches, use the max_match=0 option of rex in SPL, the MV_ADD attribute at search time, or the REPEAT_MATCH attribute at index time.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

Razziq
Explorer

Never mind - I was able to get it working via the following in a search instead:

| rex max_match=0 field=_raw "(?ms)Tag:\s(?<Tag>.+?),"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...