Splunk Search

Extracting fields from slightly different tab delimited logs

MScottFoley
Path Finder

I have two slightly different forms of a tab delimited log.  Both are in the same index and have the same source type.  One has a leading number, and the other does not.   How can I extract a single field name that looks at column 10 if there is a leading number and column 9 if not.   

Log with a leading number
1650556427.891  98.53.183.43  0.001  200  1560  GET  https ... DEN50-C1 PVnGZrUUkw0RcRcqs4 ...

Log without a leading number
98.53.183.43  0.001  200  1560  GET  https ...  LAX50-C4 ht6GZrUdg5tRcRcq34 ...

I can't just look for field 10 because it will only work in one type of log and return the wrong information in the other.    

I made a RegEx query that picked the field position based of whether there was a leading number or not.  The problem is that this does not work because the two subpattern names are the same.   
Splunk Error:  Regex: two named subpatterns have the same name (PCRE2_DUPNAMES not set).

(?(?=^\d+\.\d+\s)^(?:[^\t\n]*\t){10}(?P<fieldName>[^\t]+)|^(?:[^\t\n]*\t){9}(?P<fieldName>[^\t]+))

If I change the 2nd field name it saves, but only the first name is shown as a fieldName and the entry without a leading number is not included in the fieldName.

Is there a RegEx that can do this, or some another way without changing the log?  I think if I was able to split the two log types into different source types I could do it easily.  I don't think I can do that though.  The logs come from AWS cloud servers.  The same with removing the leading number. 

Thanks for your help.    

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Rather than anchoring to the beginning of the line, anchor to the ip address

(\d+\.){3}\d+\t(?:[^\t\n]*\t){8}(?P<fieldName>[^\t]+)

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Rather than anchoring to the beginning of the line, anchor to the ip address

(\d+\.){3}\d+\t(?:[^\t\n]*\t){8}(?P<fieldName>[^\t]+)
0 Karma

MScottFoley
Path Finder

That is a great idea.   Thanks.    

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@MScottFoley - you have two options:

1. Instead of using REGEX OR (| - pipe sign), you use two different regexes.
    1. This works whether you are using the rex command, EXTRACT or REPORT in props.conf.
  2. Instead of using fieldName in both places in a regex, you use fieldName1 and fieldName2.
    1. Then you can apply the following eval.
    2. fieldName = coalesce(fieldName1, fieldName2)

Both will work whether you are doing this with an SPL query or under your props/transforms.conf configuration.

I hope this helps!!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...