Splunk Search

Extracting Fields after Custom Processing Command

MatthewTowey
Path Finder

Hi

I am processing log files by running custom command which transforms the data that I have looked for e.g

(8=FIX.4.4|9=123|35=D|56=BLPUS|49=FMRFIBOOM|52=20120502-12:14:31|34=15|54=8|55=IBM|38=15200|44=27|11=Order8|21=2|60=20120502-12:14:31|40=7|10=118|)

becomes

(BeginString=FIX.4.4|BodyLength=123|MsgType=New Order - Single|TargetCompID=BLPUS|SenderCompID=FMRFIBOOM|SendingTime=20120502-12:14:31|MsgSeqNum=15|Side=Cross|Symbol=IBM|OrderQty=15200|Price=27|ClOrdID=Order8|HandlInst=Automated execution order,public,Broker intervention OK|TransactTime=20120502-12:14:31|OrdType=Limit or better|CheckSum=118|)

The fields (8=,9=,35=) are been extracted correctly and appearing under "Other Interesting Fields" but the new post processing fields (BeginString=,BodyLength=,MsgType=) are not been extracted to the "Other Interesting Fields" section.

Does anyone know how to configure Splunk to do this automatically when a search is run?

Thanks in advance
Matt

0 Karma
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Did you give up on the CLEAN_KEYS? I thought you got that working.

If your keys are all numeric when you let splunk index the files (as I assume they are) you can add nice names through FIELDALIAS;

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.3.1/Knowledge/Addaliasestofields

In props.conf

[your sourcetype]
FIELDALIAS-blah 8 AS BeginString 9 AS BodyLength

etc etc

Hope this helps,

Kristian

View solution in original post

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Did you give up on the CLEAN_KEYS? I thought you got that working.

If your keys are all numeric when you let splunk index the files (as I assume they are) you can add nice names through FIELDALIAS;

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.3.1/Knowledge/Addaliasestofields

In props.conf

[your sourcetype]
FIELDALIAS-blah 8 AS BeginString 9 AS BodyLength

etc etc

Hope this helps,

Kristian

0 Karma

MatthewTowey
Path Finder

Hello again Kristian
Yes using Field Alias has worked.
Thanks for the suggestion
Mat

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...