Splunk Search

Extracting Fields after Custom Processing Command

MatthewTowey
Path Finder

Hi

I am processing log files by running custom command which transforms the data that I have looked for e.g

(8=FIX.4.4|9=123|35=D|56=BLPUS|49=FMRFIBOOM|52=20120502-12:14:31|34=15|54=8|55=IBM|38=15200|44=27|11=Order8|21=2|60=20120502-12:14:31|40=7|10=118|)

becomes

(BeginString=FIX.4.4|BodyLength=123|MsgType=New Order - Single|TargetCompID=BLPUS|SenderCompID=FMRFIBOOM|SendingTime=20120502-12:14:31|MsgSeqNum=15|Side=Cross|Symbol=IBM|OrderQty=15200|Price=27|ClOrdID=Order8|HandlInst=Automated execution order,public,Broker intervention OK|TransactTime=20120502-12:14:31|OrdType=Limit or better|CheckSum=118|)

The fields (8=,9=,35=) are been extracted correctly and appearing under "Other Interesting Fields" but the new post processing fields (BeginString=,BodyLength=,MsgType=) are not been extracted to the "Other Interesting Fields" section.

Does anyone know how to configure Splunk to do this automatically when a search is run?

Thanks in advance
Matt

0 Karma
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Did you give up on the CLEAN_KEYS? I thought you got that working.

If your keys are all numeric when you let splunk index the files (as I assume they are) you can add nice names through FIELDALIAS;

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.3.1/Knowledge/Addaliasestofields

In props.conf

[your sourcetype]
FIELDALIAS-blah 8 AS BeginString 9 AS BodyLength

etc etc

Hope this helps,

Kristian

View solution in original post

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Did you give up on the CLEAN_KEYS? I thought you got that working.

If your keys are all numeric when you let splunk index the files (as I assume they are) you can add nice names through FIELDALIAS;

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.3.1/Knowledge/Addaliasestofields

In props.conf

[your sourcetype]
FIELDALIAS-blah 8 AS BeginString 9 AS BodyLength

etc etc

Hope this helps,

Kristian

0 Karma

MatthewTowey
Path Finder

Hello again Kristian
Yes using Field Alias has worked.
Thanks for the suggestion
Mat

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...