Splunk Search

Extract filed from delimited log file

oarandes

Hi,

I am trying to extract some custom fields form a log file which is delimited by :: and i made the following set up in props.conf and transforms.conf :

props.conf :

[storngmail_failed]
TRANSFORMS-strongf=parse_strongmail_failed

trasnforms.conf :

[parse_strongmail_failed]
DELIMS = "::"
FIELDS = "Date", "Serial-Number", "mailing-ID", "Database-ID", "Message-ID", "User-ID", "DB-RN", "DB-NAME", "Msg-SN", "Email-Address", "Bounce-Reason", "VSG-Name", "Outbound-IP", "Reciever-IP", "Category"

How can I configure props.conf or transforms.conf in order to do that an where do i should put these files?

Thanks !!!

Tags (1)
0 Karma

oarandes

Just one more question :

I can see in Manager-->Field extractions the settings I configured above but the fields are not available when i use the search app.
how can make the new extract fields available ?

Thnks,

0 Karma

dmlee
Communicator

sorry , I missed something
I saw you use "TRANSFORMS" to extract fields, it's index time field extraction , you need to "reindex" (chean and index again) your log files , I suggest you change to "REPORT" , it's search time field extraction .

for more information about the difference between REPORT and TRANSFORMS , please refer to props.con.spec line 413.

0 Karma

oarandes

HI thanks for the answer but, what do you mean by putting this config on search head ?

Thanks Again !!!

0 Karma

dmlee
Communicator
0 Karma

dmlee
Communicator

hi,
I think you already make sure your sourcetype is "strongmail_failed"

second, you can put those two conf files under $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local if you haven't create your own App . if you had created your own App said "strongmail", you can put conf files under $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/strongmail/local/

and because it is "search time" configuration , so you should put them on search head

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...