Splunk Search

Extract browser type and device from User agent

shashank_24
Path Finder

Hi, I've been reading number of posts about how to extract the OS and browser details but I don't think there is a better or clean way to do this.

I've a similar requirement where in my logs there is a user agent field. Now what I want is to know the browser details along with device like if it's a desktop, mobile etc.

Just posting this to see if anyone has figured out anything on this which can save time writing complex SPLs?

Any help will be appreciated. 

Labels (3)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There's an app for that.  Check out TA -user-agents at https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1843/#/details

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

shashank_24
Path Finder

Hi @richgalloway Thanks for the response. How does this app work? Does it create any extra field in the event?

And is it only compatible with certain format of the events. We have audit logs from ping federate which contains a field called useragent.

Just trying to understand even if i get this app installed, what is the way to extract the required information?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sorry, but I don't have any details about the TA.  Why not download it to your test system and try it out?

---
0 Karma

shashank_24
Path Finder

@richgalloway yeah. I will need to speak to my Admin for that. Apart from this is there any other way to do this?

For example, extract the information by writing in SPL. I've done something like this but not sure if it is 100% correct -

| eval device = case((useragent LIKE "%Mobile%" OR useragent LIKE "%Mobile%Safari%" OR useragent LIKE "%iPhone%" OR useragent LIKE "Android%Firefox%" OR useragent LIKE "%UCBrowser%" OR useragent LIKE "%IEMobile%" OR useragent LIKE "%Dalvik%Android%" OR useragent LIKE "%Android-STV100%" ), "Mobile Device", useragent LIKE "%Windows NT%", "Windows", useragent LIKE "%Macintosh%", "Macintosh", (useragent LIKE "%Ubuntu%Linux%" OR useragent LIKE "%X11%OpenVAS%"), "Linux", true() ,"others")

| eval browser = case(match(useragent,"Firefox"),"FireFox", match(useragent,"Chrome") AND NOT match(useragent,"Edge"),"Chrome", match(useragent,"Safari") AND NOT match(useragent,"Chrome"),"Safari", match(useragent, "MSIE|Trident|Edge"), "IE", NOT match(useragent, "Chrome|Firefox|Safari|MSIE|Trident|Edge"), "OTHERS")

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You have the general idea, however like is a function (used the same way as match) rather than an operator.

| eval device = case((like(useragent, "%Mobile%") OR like(useragent, "%Mobile%Safari%") OR like(useragent, "%iPhone%") OR like(useragent, "Android%Firefox%") OR like(useragent, "%UCBrowser%") OR like(useragent, "%IEMobile%") OR like(useragent, "%Dalvik%Android%") OR like(useragent, "%Android-STV100%") ), "Mobile Device", like(useragent, "%Windows NT%"), "Windows", like(useragent, "%Macintosh%"), "Macintosh", (like(useragent, "%Ubuntu%Linux%") OR like(useragent, "%X11%OpenVAS%")), "Linux", true() ,"others")
---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...