Splunk Search

Exclude results from lookup table in search v2?

TurboTurtle
Engager

I'm trying to optimize my Splunk Windows Event Log dashboard, and wanted to add CSV exclusion file that would filter out some events that aren't necessary to monitor.

CSV file contents:

TaskName EventCode
Microsoft Edge 4101
Firefox 4101

To filter events, I tried this search query:

AND NOT [ | inputlookup wineventlog_exclusions_v2.csv | rename TaskName as query | fields query, EventCode ]

However it doesn't give me what I want, it converts search string to:

(NOT EventCode="4104" OR NOT "Microsoft Edge") (NOT EventCode="4104" OR NOT "Firefox"))

But I want this:

AND NOT ((EventCode="4104" AND "Microsoft Edge") OR (EventCode="4104" AND "Firefox"))

Is there an easy way of using "AND" OR "AND" for CSV inputlookup?

Labels (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What you want is the default for a subsearch and I am guessing you are looking at the search.log showing the Expanded search line.

I think you will find the 

NOT (A AND B)

is the same as (NOT A OR NOT B)

as 

A+B is excluded (is both A AND B)
A+C is included (=NOT B)
B+C is included (=NOT A)

You can always see what your search is doing by running the subsearch with a format statement, i.e.

| inputlookup wineventlog_exclusions_v2.csv | rename TaskName as query | fields query, EventCode | format

and you will see that it is doing what you want

View solution in original post

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What you want is the default for a subsearch and I am guessing you are looking at the search.log showing the Expanded search line.

I think you will find the 

NOT (A AND B)

is the same as (NOT A OR NOT B)

as 

A+B is excluded (is both A AND B)
A+C is included (=NOT B)
B+C is included (=NOT A)

You can always see what your search is doing by running the subsearch with a format statement, i.e.

| inputlookup wineventlog_exclusions_v2.csv | rename TaskName as query | fields query, EventCode | format

and you will see that it is doing what you want

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...