Splunk Search

Exclude Splunk's own audit trail log in search results?

az365
Engager

HI,

I am new to Splunk. If criteria is met, I notice my search results include my previous searches stored in Splunk's own audit trail. They have:

host = [one of the Splunk nodes]

source = audittrail

sourcetype = audittrail

Is there a way to exclude it? It generates a lot of noise when I am refining my searches.. Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That will happen if you specify index=_audit in your query.  Don't do that if you don't want to see that data.

It also will happen if your default indexes list includes _* or _audit and you don't specify index name(s) in your query.  Don't do that.  Always include at least one index name in your queries (with few exceptions).

Or specifically exclude that source(type) in your query.

blah blah source!=audittrail blah blah

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That will happen if you specify index=_audit in your query.  Don't do that if you don't want to see that data.

It also will happen if your default indexes list includes _* or _audit and you don't specify index name(s) in your query.  Don't do that.  Always include at least one index name in your queries (with few exceptions).

Or specifically exclude that source(type) in your query.

blah blah source!=audittrail blah blah

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...