Splunk Search

Events count changing on every search

prathapkcsc
Explorer

HI,
I am facing a weird situation. I am executing a query that will give last one day data on hourly basis.

base search 
| search type="data" 
 | timechart span=1h count(eval(HTTP_Status="202")) as today_count 

when i execute this 1st time i got some httpd requests count.
When i execute above command 2nd time, i am seeing around 100-200 difference in the count for every hour.
Why happening this?
any help?
Thank you!

Tags (2)
0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

Try something like this

base search 
 | search type="data"
 | bin _time span=1h 
 | where HTTP_Status="202"
 | stats count as today_count by _time 

I suspect that timechart is moving the boundaries of the span, although that should not happen with earliest=-24h@h

The above method should give you exactly the same number of records for an hour each time it is run across the same hour. If it does not, then you have (A) something going on with your data ingestion, or (B) something going on with records getting moved out of warm to cold or (C) indexers going offline for some reason.

0 Karma

prathapkcsc
Explorer

Still am getting event count change on every run. Don't know the exact problem. I am observing this kind of change first time. our data is a real time log which will generate from mobile application.
May be different time zones causing this issue. Thanks.

0 Karma

cpetterborg
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Look at the difference between _time and the indextime. If you are east of UTC, that does seem like the most likely scenario. Especially if you are in UTC+2 or so, and the data count is only changing in the last two hours.

See the following answer for information on seeing the difference between the timestamp and the index time:

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/540344/how-to-compute-indextime-time-difference-average-w.html

0 Karma

prathapkcsc
Explorer

Thanks for your reply..Let me try it out.will get you back with the result.

0 Karma

prathapkcsc
Explorer

Still am getting event count change on every run. Don't know the exact problem. I am observing this kind of change first time. our data is a real time log which will generate from mobile application.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@prathapkcsc, are you using pot-processing? Also is there is a reason for type="data" to be outside the base search? If you are just showing HTTP_Status=202, can you also add HTTP_Status="202" to your base search?

Following will give you today's 202 events with span=1h (assuming by last one day you mean today as you have renamed the count also as today_count).

<yourBaseSearch> type="data" HTTP_Status=202 earliest=-0d@d latest=now
| timechart span=1h count as today_count

prathapkcsc
Explorer

data is just like grep pattern from log data.
sourcetype="mylogdata" earliest=-5h@h latest=now HTTP_Status=202
| search type="data"
| timechart span=1h count
I am just giving the above query. some how values are changing on every search. At least am able to see 10-20 count difference.
I have no idea about pot-processing.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@prathapkcsc well if you are not using post processing there is nothing to investigate there. Can you try the following search and see the result counts?

sourcetype="mylogdata" earliest=-6h@h latest=-1h@h HTTP_Status=202 type="data"

If the counts are still not matching, can you verify the Time on Raw Data and Time picked by _time field whether they match or not?

prathapkcsc
Explorer

I used the same command. Still am able to see the difference on every search.

0 Karma

prathapkcsc
Explorer

Raw data has EDT time zone and _time field showing in UTC timezone.
Is this causing the issue?

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

Try the following

sourcetype="mylogdata" earliest=-1d@h-5 latest=-1d@h-3 HTTP_Status=202 type="data"

Also check (in verbose mode) whether your raw data has date_hour field extracted.

I am thinking for the following change might happen:
1) Latest hour bucket as data is still flowing in.
2) Your _time not picking up time correctly.

Because of which I which I wanted you to test the time which has already passed and for which already events have been indexed.

If date_hour is present you can also try stats count by date_hour to see whether counts add up or not.

prathapkcsc
Explorer

Hi I used the below query
sourcetype="mylogdata" type="data" earliest=-1d@h-5 latest=-1d@h-3 HTTP_Status="202"
|timechart span=1h count

The below output i got
_time count

2018-06-11 07:00 34

Just fyi, i have extracted fileds. What did i take over from the above query?
I am observing event count change for almost all the hours.
Also Please let me know the meaning of the below line
earliest=-1d@h-5 latest=-1d@h-3

0 Karma

cpetterborg
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you seeing any yellow triangles on the results page? Have you used the job inspector to see if there are any problems? Are you using the same time period, like yesterday, or are you using something like last 24 hours?

0 Karma

prathapkcsc
Explorer

No. I am not seeing any yellow triangles. I am using same command with
earliest=-24h@h latest=now.
at 1st run :
19th hour --> 52168
20th hour ---> 121115

at 2nd run :
19th hour : 52153
20th hour : 121082

Like above event count is decreasing for every search.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...