Splunk Search

Events contain several occurrences of search string

smiehe

I'd like to count the occurrences of a certain string for a specific server. Right now I'm using:

host="host.test.com" AND "Sent mail to" | stats count as Total

This returns the number of Events found. However, in some cases one event contains this string more than once and I'd like to count those as well.

How do I count the occurrences of that String rather than the number of events this String occurs in?

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this

host="host.test.com" AND "Sent mail to" | rex field=_raw max_match=0 "(?P<SentMail>Sent mail to*)" | eval count=mvcount(SentMail) | stats sum(count) as Total

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this

host="host.test.com" AND "Sent mail to" | rex field=_raw max_match=0 "(?P<SentMail>Sent mail to*)" | eval count=mvcount(SentMail) | stats sum(count) as Total

erritesh17
Path Finder

hey somesoni,

This query is working fine , can you tell me any other alternative to find events contain several occurrences string.

0 Karma

smiehe

No, the format is as follows within a single event:

Sent mail to user1@mail.com (205ms)
Rendered user_mailer/email.html.erb (22.4ms)
Sent mail to user2@mail.com (196ms)
Rendered user_mailer/email.html.erb (22.4ms)

In this case I'd need to count this as two occurrences

0 Karma

rsennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Is there some kind of delimiter? because if there is, then you want to make a multivalue field and then create a field that holds the number of values... then you can sum on that field. If you show a few lines of the log, I can be more specific...

With Splunk... the answer is always "YES!". It just might require more regex than you're prepared for!
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...