Splunk Search

Event break regex - match 19 digit number

himynamesdave
Contributor

Happy New Year everyone!

Regex n00b here - I am struggling to break events for a particular source. Any help would be appreciated.

The line to break events is in the following format

"From <19 digit numeric string>@<misc alpha numeric string of varying length> <timestamp>"

For example:

From 1489304828131889971@xxx Sat Jan 03 07:02:43 2015

From 1489220782115942636@82hs Fri Jan 02 08:46:51 2015

I want to specify an event break in props.conf with "From <19 digit numeric string>@".

Can anyone help?

-dave

0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
Legend

Hi himynamesdave,

try something like this as line breaker regex :

From\s.+?@

based on the assumption I understood you correct and you want everything after the @ as new line 😉

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

eddit0r
Explorer

For the LINE_BREAKER to work there needs to be a capture group.

You should specify the following in props.conf

props.conf
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = FALSE
LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]+)From\s\d+@

That will break where there is a carriage return or new line, followed by From 'space' any number of digits and an @ symbol.

See how you go.

(It is always preferable to delimit multi-line events with LINE_BREAKER as it has significant benefits to processing speed)

0 Karma

jayannah
Builder

Since you want to break the events "From <19digits>@", here is props.conf for the same.
I have used \d{19} to match the exact 19 digits as you mentioned.

props.conf
[< your sourcetype OR source or host >]
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE=From\s+\d{19}@
NO_BINARY_CHECK=1
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=true

please let me know if the above props.conf worked for you..
regex query tried to match the correct pattern is https://regex101.com/r/kD3tZ1/1

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

This will not work on any event NOT containing exactly (meaning more/less) 19 digits...
Always build things so you can [remember what they mean|work], two years from now 😉

0 Karma

jayannah
Builder

Yes, I knew it. It depends on whether strict or loose pattern matching required. That why I said, based on 19 digit pattern as per the question.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi himynamesdave,

try something like this as line breaker regex :

From\s.+?@

based on the assumption I understood you correct and you want everything after the @ as new line 😉

cheers, MuS

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Thanks for the Memories! Splunk University, .conf24, and Community Connections

Thank you to everyone in the Splunk Community who joined us for .conf24 – starting with Splunk University and ...

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...