Splunk Search

Escaping special characters in text input

willadams
Contributor

I have a very basic dashboard that requires my users to put in text inputs.  These inputs are then outputted to a CSV file that can be referenced.  The basics of it are

<input type="text" token="user">
        <label>user</label>
      </input>
      <input type="text" token="hostname">
        <label>Host Name</label>
</input>
 <input type="text" token="switch">
        <label>Switchingcommand</label>
</input>

I have my form being submitted via a submit button at the top of the form that takes this information and outputs this to a csv file with an append

<search>
    <query>
          | makeresults
          | eval user="$user$"
          | eval hostname="$hostname$"
          | eval switch="$switch$"
          | outputlookup tracking.csv append=true
        </query>
</search>

The above works within the dashboard provided that there are no special characters.  Due to the nature of the value for "switch" above, it can contain a long string with various escape characters.  For example a string entered could be almost any special characters (for example it could contain "regex" or "#" or "=" or "$" or "[word]" etc. etc. etc.

I have tried modifying my search query as follows (adding in |s$) after the eval for switch

<search>
    <query>
          | makeresults
          | eval user="$user$"
          | eval hostname="$hostname$"
          | eval switch="$switch$"|s$
          | outputlookup tracking.csv append=true
        </query>
</search>

however this doesn't appear to work and the input silently fails.  Have I used |s$ in the correct place or is this not possible?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try

| eval switch="$switch|s$"
0 Karma

KeithH
Path Finder

Can anyone point me to where this escaping is documented in the Splunk manuals?

I can across it in a dashboard today and have not been able to track it down - very confusing until a colleague told me what it did.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...