Splunk Search

Error on using eval in a subsearch

dinh
Path Finder

What is wrong with the way I'm using eval here?

source="/some.audit.log" "End" "/foo/baz"
| rex field=_raw "(?P<ReqId>\bREQ\w{32}\b)"
| rex field=_raw "(?P<IpAddress>\b[\d]{1,3}\.[\d]{1,3}\.[\d]{1,3}\.[\d]{1,3}\b)"
| rex field=_raw "(?i) End \"(?P<Lid>[^\"]*)\""
| rex field=_raw "[^ ] (?P<HostName>\w+\.\w+\.\w+) [^ ]"
| fields ReqId, Lid, HostName, IpAddress
| join ReqId [search
source="/some.error.log" "Fail" "BLOCK"
| rex field=_raw "(?P<ReqId>\bREQ\w{32}\b)"
| rex field=_raw "Status (?P<Status>\b\w*\b)"
| eval raw1=_raw
| fields ReqId, Status, raw1
]

I got this error message

Error in 'eval' command: Failed to parse arguments. eval usage: eval dest_key = expression

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Ah, yes. Quoting of double-quote characters and backslashes inside of rex strings is going to be confusing and problematic. I'd advise you if you're doing this to put the regexes into props.conf/transforms.conf and use the "extract" command to call them. If they're in the file, you can use plain PCRE syntax without worrying about how they might get transformed and passed inside the string.

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Ah, yes. Quoting of double-quote characters and backslashes inside of rex strings is going to be confusing and problematic. I'd advise you if you're doing this to put the regexes into props.conf/transforms.conf and use the "extract" command to call them. If they're in the file, you can use plain PCRE syntax without worrying about how they might get transformed and passed inside the string.

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The "extract" command docs and the docs for the transforms.conf file should do it. You define it in transforms.conf, then call it on demand using the "extract" command (instead of "rex"). You could use props.conf to make it run automatically for the sourcetype as well.

BTW I would not use macros.conf for this particular case, since it adds a whole new layer of escaping and parsing.

0 Karma

dinh
Path Finder

Where can I find the documentation on how to implement it this way?

0 Karma

dinh
Path Finder

turns out this was the problem: [^\"]*

dinh
Path Finder

Just trying to pull a few of the rex out, it looks like something in this line is causing it but I'm not sure what.

| rex field=_raw "(?i) End \"(?P[^\"]*)\""

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...