Splunk Search

How do I search for a single specific event?

Johnvey
Contributor

Sometimes I come across an event in my index that I'd like to refer to later, either as part of an investigation or to send to a colleague. Is there an event ID that I can search for that will always return that specific event? The closest I've gotten is to search on the timestamp of the event and hope that there aren't too many other events with the same timestamp.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

matt
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk currently does not provide a unique event id but will in a future release. This Q&A talks about it in greater detail

View solution in original post

matt
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk currently does not provide a unique event id but will in a future release. This Q&A talks about it in greater detail

Simon
Contributor

After your search job finished, you will find a link in the dropdown menu «Actions» on top the search form called «Get links to results». This will generate a unique HTTP url which you can distribute to your colleagues. He simply has to authenticate and gets the same search results immediately. To get only a limited number of events, use the search command «head», for example: sourcetype="access_combined" | head 10 will return the first 10 search results.

Johnvey
Contributor

Yes, static jobs can be saved and referenced, but I was specifically asking about being able to search, on an ad-hoc basis, for a single event independently from a pre-existing job. For example, I should be able to use an event id as part of a new search without referencing a previous search.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...