Splunk Search

Error in 'transaction' command: Descending time ordered events required, but the preceding search does not guarantee time order

thisissplunk
Builder

I believe commands like "transaction" work on the _time metadata field that is hidden in each event. This is similar to timechart or bucket. The problem here is that the events I have get indexed all at once, and _time gets stamped to that one single timestamp.

However, we still have the correct timestamp when the log events were generated. Therefor I try resetting _time to that timestamp like so:

| eval _time=strptime(timegenerated,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%SZ")
| transaction fields=hostname maxspan=60m 

This works for bucket and timechart, however, it's not working for transaction:

Error in 'transaction' command: Descending time ordered events required, but the preceding search does not guarantee time order

Is there a way to overcome this and get transaction to work on the new _time field? Is there any other way to accomplish this?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Do this:

| eval _time=strptime(timegenerated,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%SZ")
| sort 0 - _time
| transaction fields=hostname maxspan=60m 
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...