Splunk Search

Earliest Time not showing the correct results

neerajs_81
Builder

Hi All,  I am confused as in why earliest time modifier is not working out in my case ? Someone pls clarify why is splunk displaying the results this way ?

Below is my search 

(index=linux source="/var/log/secure" "Failed password") earliest=-1d
| stats latest(_time) as _time, values(host), values(dest_ip), values(source), values(src_ip), values(src), dc(src_ip) as srcIpCount, dc(src) as srcCount, values(user), dc(user) as userCount, count as failures by src_ip dest
| rename values(*) as *
| table _time dest dest_ip host source srcIpCount src_ip srcCount src userCount user failures
| where failures>10 AND userCount>1

This does not show any results with earliest = -1d ( Today being Nov 2 2021)

Now if i change earliest=-7d , then it shows results where _time = Nov 1 2021 which is yesterday.  Below screenshot.    Why didn't earliest = -1d or even -2d show these results ?  What is making -7d pick these up but not -1d or -2d ?

neerajs_81_0-1635843453876.png

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You only get results when (according to your where clause) you have accumulated more than 10 failures and more than 1 user within your time period i.e. there aren't sufficient failures and users until you expand the timeframe to 7 days.

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You only get results when (according to your where clause) you have accumulated more than 10 failures and more than 1 user within your time period i.e. there aren't sufficient failures and users until you expand the timeframe to 7 days.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...