Splunk Search

EVAL issue

jsmith39
Path Finder

I've extracted a field called QR from a sourcetype, and it's working perfectly, but is returning numerical data, and I need specific words for a Enterprise Security dashboard to work. When I type the following eval command into the search bar it works perfectly, but when I place it in props.conf it doesn't execute correctly (new field is not created):

sourcetype = MSAD:NT6:DNS | eval message_type = if(QR==0, "RESPONSE", "QUERY")

I'm wondering if I'm running into an order of precedence issue, where my EVAL is kicking off before a QR field is even created.
I have the following in my transforms and props files.

transforms.conf

[MSAD:NT6:DNS]
[dns_qr_extraction]
REGEX = (QR)\s+(\d)
FORMAT = $1::$2

props.conf

[MSAD:NT6:DNS]
REPORT-dns_qr_extraction = dns_qr_extraction
EVAL message_type = if(QR==0, "RESPONSE", QR==1, "QUERY", "UNKNOWN")
Tags (3)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Is the QR field being crated for sure?

... | fields QR
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You also have a mismatch in your props.conf stanza header: [dns_qr_lookup_action] should be [dns_qr_extraction].

0 Karma

jsmith39
Path Finder

Again, just being clumsy when putting my question on this website, in my server files, everything is typed correctly.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You are missing a hyphen, try this:

EVAL-message_type = if(QR==0, "RESPONSE", QR==1, "QUERY", "UNKNOWN)

This mistake should have caused Splunk to give you an error every time you restart Splunk (which you probably did) so be sure to pay attention to the output EVERY time you restart Splunk!

jsmith39
Path Finder

That was a format issue when I was typing into answers.splunk.com, thanks for replying though appreciate the thought.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You do see that I changed EVAL message_type to EVAL-message_type, right? I ask because you fixed your question (which I reformatted for clarity) for the other "wrong" answer but not for this one. Is perhaps this the actual problem?

0 Karma

jsmith39
Path Finder

Thank you, you're right, I did miss turning EVAL message_type into EVAL-message_type.
Unfortunately this still isn't having the desired effect of creating a message_type field.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You also do not need [MSAD:NT6:DNS] in transforms.conf so remove that.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...