Splunk Search

Differentiate between two fields with the same name in two different jsons

seomaniv
Explorer

So I have a single log event that captures the request and the response JSONs. As a user I'd like to be able to write a query that will capture the fields from the JSONs, but the field names are the same in the request and the response, so when I search:

index="myIndex" sourcetype="mySourceType" "Keywords to search for only request and response events" | 
rex field=_raw "This event received the following request (?<requestJson>.*) and sent the following response (?<responseJson>.*)" | 
spath input=requestJson | 
spath input=responseJson

When I get the results of this search, I get one field with two values (request and response values):

"clientId":[123, 123] <-----searched by
"name":[null, "Joe Schmoe"]
"ssn":[null, "123-45-6789"]

.....etc.

What I'd really like to be able to do is get a response more like:

"request.clientId":123
 "request.name":null
 "request.ssn":null

"response.clientId":123
 "response.name":"Joe Schmoe"
 "response.ssn":"123-45-6789"

I tried renaming the fields in "requestJson" after using spath:

spath input=requestJson | rename * as request.*

but that doesn't seem to work unless I use at least one letter before the wildcard (*), such as:

spath input=requestJson | rename a* as request.*

How can I rename these fields generated dynamically by spath-ing my JSONs? Or, alternative I may be missing: how can I differentiate between the request and response values even though they have the same field name?

0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@seomaniv add the following eval before spath commands.

| eval requestJson="{\"request\":".requestJson."\}", responseJson="{\"response\":".responseJson."\}"

Following is a run anywhere search example based on the sample data provided:

| makeresults 
| eval _raw="This event received the following request {\"clientId\":123,\"name\":null,\"ssn\":null} and sent the following response {\"clientId\":123,\"name\":\"John\",\"ssn\":\"Doe\"}"
| rex "This event received the following request (?<requestJson>.*) and sent the following response (?<responseJson>.*)"
| eval requestJson="{\"request\":".requestJson."\}", responseJson="{\"response\":".responseJson."\}"
| spath input=requestJson
| spath input=responseJson
| fields - _raw requestJson responseJson
| fields request* response*

Please try out and confirm!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@seomaniv add the following eval before spath commands.

Following is a run anywhere search example based on the sample data provided:

| makeresults 
| eval _raw="This event received the following request {\"clientId\":123,\"name\":null,\"ssn\":null} and sent the following response {\"clientId\":123,\"name\":\"John\",\"ssn\":\"Doe\"}"
| rex "This event received the following request (?<requestJson>.*) and sent the following response (?<responseJson>.*)"
| spath input=requestJson
| spath input=responseJson
| fields - _raw requestJson responseJson
| fields request* response*

Please try out and confirm!

seomaniv
Explorer

Actually I ended up figuring it out, too. What I did was concatenate both fields into a single field, then ran spath on that field and it did the work itself.

eval toSpath="{\"request\":".requestJson.",\"response\":".responseJson | 
spath input=toSpath

Same thing you did, basically. Thanks niketnilay!

niketn
Legend

@seomaniv ,Anytime! Glad you figured it out 🙂

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...