Splunk Search

Differentiate between two fields with the same name in two different jsons

seomaniv
Explorer

So I have a single log event that captures the request and the response JSONs. As a user I'd like to be able to write a query that will capture the fields from the JSONs, but the field names are the same in the request and the response, so when I search:

index="myIndex" sourcetype="mySourceType" "Keywords to search for only request and response events" | 
rex field=_raw "This event received the following request (?<requestJson>.*) and sent the following response (?<responseJson>.*)" | 
spath input=requestJson | 
spath input=responseJson

When I get the results of this search, I get one field with two values (request and response values):

"clientId":[123, 123] <-----searched by
"name":[null, "Joe Schmoe"]
"ssn":[null, "123-45-6789"]

.....etc.

What I'd really like to be able to do is get a response more like:

"request.clientId":123
 "request.name":null
 "request.ssn":null

"response.clientId":123
 "response.name":"Joe Schmoe"
 "response.ssn":"123-45-6789"

I tried renaming the fields in "requestJson" after using spath:

spath input=requestJson | rename * as request.*

but that doesn't seem to work unless I use at least one letter before the wildcard (*), such as:

spath input=requestJson | rename a* as request.*

How can I rename these fields generated dynamically by spath-ing my JSONs? Or, alternative I may be missing: how can I differentiate between the request and response values even though they have the same field name?

0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@seomaniv add the following eval before spath commands.

| eval requestJson="{\"request\":".requestJson."\}", responseJson="{\"response\":".responseJson."\}"

Following is a run anywhere search example based on the sample data provided:

| makeresults 
| eval _raw="This event received the following request {\"clientId\":123,\"name\":null,\"ssn\":null} and sent the following response {\"clientId\":123,\"name\":\"John\",\"ssn\":\"Doe\"}"
| rex "This event received the following request (?<requestJson>.*) and sent the following response (?<responseJson>.*)"
| eval requestJson="{\"request\":".requestJson."\}", responseJson="{\"response\":".responseJson."\}"
| spath input=requestJson
| spath input=responseJson
| fields - _raw requestJson responseJson
| fields request* response*

Please try out and confirm!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@seomaniv add the following eval before spath commands.

Following is a run anywhere search example based on the sample data provided:

| makeresults 
| eval _raw="This event received the following request {\"clientId\":123,\"name\":null,\"ssn\":null} and sent the following response {\"clientId\":123,\"name\":\"John\",\"ssn\":\"Doe\"}"
| rex "This event received the following request (?<requestJson>.*) and sent the following response (?<responseJson>.*)"
| spath input=requestJson
| spath input=responseJson
| fields - _raw requestJson responseJson
| fields request* response*

Please try out and confirm!

seomaniv
Explorer

Actually I ended up figuring it out, too. What I did was concatenate both fields into a single field, then ran spath on that field and it did the work itself.

eval toSpath="{\"request\":".requestJson.",\"response\":".responseJson | 
spath input=toSpath

Same thing you did, basically. Thanks niketnilay!

niketn
Legend

@seomaniv ,Anytime! Glad you figured it out 🙂

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...