Splunk Search

Day to day comparison. Using stats and timechart.

sandeepmakkena
Contributor

sourcetype="SysEvents" OR sourcetype="Sysout" TransactionId=TI* AND TransactionId!=TI earliest=-d@d latest=@d
| timechart span=1h count
| eval Hour = strftime(_time, "%H")
| stats avg(count) as AverageCount by Hour
| join Hour
[sourcetype="SysEvents" OR sourcetype="Sysout" TransactionId=TI* AND TransactionId!=TI AND TransactionId!=OPF earliest=@d latest=@h
| stats count as TodaysCount by Hour]

It seems to be working fine, but it doesn't show any results if one of the search period doesn't have any results.

No, this is what I am looking something like this and display this stats on time chart.

Hours AverageCount TodaysCount
00 4 0
01 0 3
02 5 2
24 0 0

Thanks.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

grittonc
Contributor

Try append with stats. Also, I'm not sure how this is running without a search command inside the subsearch.

sourcetype="SysEvents" OR sourcetype="Sysout" TransactionId=TI* AND TransactionId!=TI earliest=-d@d latest=@d
| append
[search sourcetype="SysEvents" OR sourcetype="Sysout" TransactionId=TI* AND TransactionId!=TI AND TransactionId!=OPF earliest=@d latest=@h
| stats min(AverageCount) as AverageCount, min(TodaysCount) as TodaysCount by Hour | fillnull value=0 AverageCount TodaysCount

View solution in original post

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You should checkout timewrap. This will do exactly what you need. It should always be passed after timechart command like this.. Make sure to set your timerange to something like the last 7 days so you can get 7 lines showing day over day

sourcetype="SysEvents" OR sourcetype="Sysout" TransactionId=TI* AND TransactionId!=TI earliest=-7d@d latest=@d
| timewrap 1d
0 Karma

grittonc
Contributor

Try append with stats. Also, I'm not sure how this is running without a search command inside the subsearch.

| append
[search sourcetype="SysEvents" OR sourcetype="Sysout" TransactionId=TI* AND TransactionId!=TI AND TransactionId!=OPF earliest=@d latest=@h
| stats min(AverageCount) as AverageCount, min(TodaysCount) as TodaysCount by Hour | fillnull value=0 AverageCount TodaysCount
0 Karma

sandeepmakkena
Contributor

I am sorry it did work, but it doesn't display anything if both the time ranges don't have any transactions.

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is a very expensive search, you should look into leaning it out

0 Karma

sandeepmakkena
Contributor

No, this is what I am looking for.

Hours AverageCount TodaysCount
00 4 0
01 0 3
02 5 2
24 0 0

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

REGISTER NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If ...