Splunk Search

Create an list that shows unused data in specific index

amirarsalan
Explorer

Hi,
Can I in someway create an list that shows unused data in a specific index? Is it possible?

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There is no way to know what data has been looked at and what has not. Splunk does not track that. Even if it did, data in Splunk cannot be removed. Also, just because data is not being used today does not mean it won't be needed tomorrow.

That said, it may be good to review your data sources and verify with your users that each source is still needed.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There is no way to know what data has been looked at and what has not. Splunk does not track that. Even if it did, data in Splunk cannot be removed. Also, just because data is not being used today does not mean it won't be needed tomorrow.

That said, it may be good to review your data sources and verify with your users that each source is still needed.

---

amirarsalan
Explorer

Thanks, but is it any way then to see or review the data sources in a splunk search?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I suppose you could analyze the search dispatch directories, but they are not ingested into Splunk so that would be an "offline" task.

---
0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

please elaborate, what do you mean by: "unused data"?

0 Karma

amirarsalan
Explorer

@adonio I mean like information that is not necessary in search that can be removed

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...