Splunk Search

Counting session IDs across multiple fields

benkeen
Engager

Hi all, brand new to splunk search syntax. I have a command like so:

... | stats count by userAgent, browserVersion, osName

That yields a table with those three columns about browsers (user agent, browser version & the OS) plus a fourth column, containing the total count of each row. Nice! However, I need a final row containing the count of unique session IDs for those rows. I know I can get access to the session IDs via session_id but I don't see how to sum them up (dc() command...?) for the unique combinations of userAgent-browserVersion-osName.

Any suggestions?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If what you want is "the count of unique session IDS" then try ... | stats count, dc(session_id) by userAgent, browserVersion, osName.
If you want "to sum them up" then you're likely out of luck since non-numeric values (which is what session IDs probably are) can't be summed.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

kartm2020
Communicator

Hope i understand the requirement. Please try the below query.

| stats count(session_id) by userAgent, browserVersion, osName

Please let me know if it doesn't meet your requirement

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If what you want is "the count of unique session IDS" then try ... | stats count, dc(session_id) by userAgent, browserVersion, osName.
If you want "to sum them up" then you're likely out of luck since non-numeric values (which is what session IDs probably are) can't be summed.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...