Splunk Search

Convert time to epoch time & time zone

willadams
Contributor

In my index, I have a field that has been extracted for a "last checkin time". The time shown is GMT and I need to use this field when using a dashboard to accurately show data. I am having a problem with my strptime in that it is not working.

An example is an extracted field ==> 2020-02-13 05:00:29.0
The time is GMT (and it needs to be GMT+8)

I have done the following:

index=someindex source="mysource"
| eval epoch_time=strptime("last_checkin_time", "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%3N")

I have tried adjusting the value of eval to use the %Q options but that has not been able to generate anew field that I can use. I have also tried to use %Z at the end of the strptime to try and force timezone but to no avail

I would like to use this time instead of the ingest time (or _time) to drive my dashboard.

Thanks in advance

Tags (1)
0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| eval epoch_time=strptime('last_checkin_time'." +0000", "%F %T.0 %z")

renjith_nair
Legend

@willadams ,

last_checkin_time in strptime shouldn't be in quotes(") which will treat it as a literal. Remove the quotes around it to treat it as variable.

i.e.

eval epoch_time=strptime(last_checkin_time, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%3N")
Happy Splunking!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...