Splunk Search

Comparison between Future date and current date

dsiob
Communicator

I have a date field 'Start Time' in csv. I have to filter if date in this field is current week date or future week date. For this I fetch '%W' of the date and current date and comparing. But if the date is future date its '%W' is coming as current week only. It is not considering future dates.alt text

Any help will be great!

1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

/* source*/ | eval StartTimeDetail=case(strptime('Start Time',"%m/%d/%Y %H:%M")>=relative_time(now(),"@w+7d"),"Future Week",strptime('Start Time',"%m/%d/%Y %H:%M")>=relative_time(now(),"@w"),"This Week",1=1,"Prior Week")
| table "Start Time" StartTimeDetail

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

/* source*/ | eval StartTimeDetail=case(strptime('Start Time',"%m/%d/%Y %H:%M")>=relative_time(now(),"@w+7d"),"Future Week",strptime('Start Time',"%m/%d/%Y %H:%M")>=relative_time(now(),"@w"),"This Week",1=1,"Prior Week")
| table "Start Time" StartTimeDetail

dsiob
Communicator

Ohh Superb!! its working

0 Karma

twinspop
Influencer

There seems to be a lot of unneeded churn in your search. Does this work for you?

your base search 
| eval InFuture=if((now()-_time)>86400,"yes","no") 
| table _time InFuture

EDIT: you could change 86400 to 0 to catch anything in the future. Or change to 604800 to catch something 1 week in the future or more.

dsiob
Communicator

this returns whether the difference is 1 week or not. But I have to show whether _time is in current week or not

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Why not compare epoch times directly? If _time > now() then the event is in the future.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...