Splunk Search

Comparing different events timestamp

pazReshef

Hi!

I have 2 events to compare, one always comes first and the second is the result of, I want to present the time it took to get the result.

In order to so that, every couple events as a common key(same key to the first and second), not every first event has a pair.
so right now i have this table:

First ``` second

``` ```2
```````````5

(The ` is to present the columns - it's an empty cell).

I want to filter just the events that has a same key in the other column (1,5 in this example) and I couldn't do it so far.
Thank u in advance 🙂

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Whats your search to get the events of both type? Also, can you share some sample data for both type of events?
I believe something like this would work but can't say for sure without seeing your current search/data:

your base search to select both type of events, with a field called common_key
| stats max(_time) as Result min(_time) as Request by common_key
| where Result!=Request | rename COMMENT as "This means there are two events for the common_key"
| eval Duration=Result-Request | convert ctime(Result) ctime(Request)
0 Karma

pazReshef

Unfortunately, I don't have the key that easely, I calculate him from the url of the event, and for every event the caculation is different, it meens it looks something like that:
baseSearch | eval firsrCalc (thats returns null for second event) | eval secondCalc (that returns null for the first event) | table firstCalc, secondCalc.

I tried to name same eval to the calculations but it only took the second calc and "as" is not allowed there.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

In that case, you can calculate your common_key like this

baseSearch | eval firsrCalc=(thats returns null for second event) | eval secondCalc=(that returns null for the first event) | eval common_key=coalesce(firstCalc, secondCalc) |...
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...