Splunk Search

Combining charts from different searches

attgjh1
Communicator

im using something like this:

sourcetype="A" category="CatA" "msg string in my log not stored as a field" | timechart span=1h count(_raw)

this gives me a single charted line which tracks occurrences of that particular log with string specified. I hav several of such lines. However is there a way to save each of this 'search' under a single name so that i can combine them into a single chart?

im not sure if this is possible (i suspect it has to do with eval)? any tips?

EDIT:

Event looks like this:

6/27/2011 3:47:02 AM    6/27/2011 3:47:02 AM    pss2wlsfe2b [ps2wseb] PS.RR.SV.APP Full GC detected in log file [directory/gc.log] line [254988] (5 occurrences since 11:42:01) CLOSED  WARNING App

so basically, from "Full GC detected in log file [directory/gc.log] line 254988"
they are replacable by the following messages as well.

Warn:Full GC detected in log file line 3

Memory high after full GC (90.19%/90%, next threshold 95%)

Err:Memory high after full GC (80%/75%, next threshold 80%)

basically im looking out for almost the entire main phrase:

"full gc detected in log file"

"memory high after full gc"

"err:memory high after full gc"

to see if they occur at the same time or over diff periods of time

Tags (3)
0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

I would say that this is possible with rex, i.e. extracting fields on the fly, but it's pretty dependant on how the events are formatted. My idea for doing this is;

sourcetype=A category=CatA "string no 1" OR "string no 2" OR "string no 3" 
| rex "blaha (?<my_string>(string no 1 | string no 2 | string no 3)) blaha" 
| timechart span=1h count by my_string

Please post a few sample messages to be able to get better help.

From your ONE sample, it's hard to tell the general pattern of the possible log messages, but here's a shot at extracting the interesting string as a field;

sourcetype=A category=CatA | rex "\[\w+\]\s[A-Z.]\s(?<msg_string>[\s\w:]+)" | timechart c by msg_string

If you have a lot of events that do not contain a msg_string, you could insert a search msg_string=* after the rex, but before the timechart/stats/whatever function.

BR

Kristian

0 Karma

attgjh1
Communicator

ok.
thanks for the help so far! 🙂

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Full events, please 🙂

Just mask any sensitive stuff, ip-addresses, accounts etc.

0 Karma

attgjh1
Communicator

updated.
;)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...