Splunk Search

Combining Search Results By Passing Subsearch Values

adamcoquim
Explorer

Hi,

Essentially, I am trying to join 2 or 3 log entries together linking them by a yet to be determined value (session ID) where the field I am searching for is not in every entry I am looking for.

Breakdown:

One Log Entry (AuthRs)
- has sessionID that links the two entries
- has a field value that I know of beforehand (UID)
- has other field values that I need (status)

Second Log Entry (One of 2 entries - either AuthRq or AuthRt - one of the two will exist)

- has the sessionID
- doesn't have UID
- has other field values I need (IP Address, UserAgent)

Pseudo search:

1 index=a sourcetype=a "AuthRs" UID=abc
2 | table _time, UID, status, sessionID
3 | join sessionID [ search sourcetype=a "AuthRq" OR "AuthRt" (need to pass sessionID from search here somehow) ]
4 | table _time, UID, status, sessionID, IPAddress, useragent (final table of values I want)

I've also tried a search like this:

Pseudo search 2
index=a sourcetype=a (UID=123 AND "AuthRs") OR "AuthRs" OR "AuthRt"
| stats list(_time) list(UID) list(status) list(IPAddress) list(userAgent) by sessionID

• issue with this search is that the AuthRs and AuthRt searches are too large without narrowing down..but cant narrow down until I identify the sessionID would be found amongst all the entries

I understand that subsearches are run first but not sure how to rewrite the search for the correct order . I have also heard

The issue is that the line 1 search may identify multiple entries and i'd need to link all the events of search 1 to entries of search 2 by passing multiple session IDs if necessary. Without being able to pass the session ID, line 3 search conducts too many searches and drops results.

Maybe I can do an initial search just for the session IDs and then

If i'm not clear, please let me know and I can try and explain further.

0 Karma
1 Solution

adamcoquim
Explorer

I think I figured it out. I did end up searching for just the session IDs and passing them to the search

Pseudo code:
index=a sourcetype=a "AuthRs" OR "AuthRs" OR "AuthRt"
[ search sourcetype=a "AuthRs" UID=123 | fields sessionID ]
| stats list(_time) list(UID) list(status) list(IPAddress) list(userAgent) by sessionID

View solution in original post

0 Karma

adamcoquim
Explorer

I think I figured it out. I did end up searching for just the session IDs and passing them to the search

Pseudo code:
index=a sourcetype=a "AuthRs" OR "AuthRs" OR "AuthRt"
[ search sourcetype=a "AuthRs" UID=123 | fields sessionID ]

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@adamcoquim If your problem is resolved, please accept the answer to help future readers.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...