Splunk Search

Combine two rows from a search into one?

dzenn
Explorer

Hello!

I'm doing a search for some project information, specifically for a count of projects based on their Importance, a created field in our Project Online instance, using this string:

index = projectonline | dedup ProjectName | search Importance!=NULL | stats count by Importance | eval Importance_slice = Importance + ", " + count | fields Importance_slice, count

It's working pretty nicely but when we created the Importance field and look up table originally we used values High, Medium and Low then switched to 1 - High, 2 - Medium and 3 - Low. This, I believe, has thrown my search a little bit and it returns this:

alt text

Now naturally what I'd like to do is combing the High and 1 - High rows, the Medium and 2 - Medium, and the Low and 3 - Low rows. This will be for a piechart dasboard panel, so maybe sections of a piechart can be combined in the XML as a way to attack it from a different angle. Anyways, can this be done in the search or XML? I've been struggling with addtotals and the evals for this. Any and all advice would be most welcome!

Thank you!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Perhaps this will help. Use sed to normalize the Importance values.

index = projectonline | dedup ProjectName | search Importance!=NULL | rex field=Importance mode=sed "s/\d - (\w+)/\1/g" | stats count by Importance | eval Importance_slice = Importance + ", " + count | fields Importance_slice, count
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Add this before your stats command.

... | rex field=Importance mode=sed "s/(\d\s-\s)(\w+)/$2/g" | stats ...
0 Karma

dzenn
Explorer

thank you for the suggestion!

so after using search string:

index = projectonline | dedup ProjectName | search Importance!=NULL | rex field=Importance mode=sed "s/\d - (\w+)/\1/g" | rex field=Importance mode=sed "s/(\d\s-\s)(\w+)/$2/g"| stats count by Importance | eval Importance_slice = Importance + ", " + count | fields Importance_slice, count

The results seem to be combined but the totals are off:

alt text

I've found that whether or not "rex field=Importance mode=sed "s/(\d\s-\s)(\w+)/$2/g" " is in the search or not the results are the same.

I've never used sed or rex so unfortunately I'm rather ignorant of how they work 😞

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You don't need two rex commands in your search. One is enough.

---
0 Karma

dzenn
Explorer

http://imgur.com/Y1UgrmQ

this is the image of the new results, for some reason you can't upload an image in the comments.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Perhaps this will help. Use sed to normalize the Importance values.

index = projectonline | dedup ProjectName | search Importance!=NULL | rex field=Importance mode=sed "s/\d - (\w+)/\1/g" | stats count by Importance | eval Importance_slice = Importance + ", " + count | fields Importance_slice, count
---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...